confirmed 18-6-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-07-2011
Hello,

I submitted on another thread before, but I wanted to find out what experiences people had had with submitting an outland application from the US, then trying to go into canada, particularly British Columbia (for 6 month visit) prior to getting permanent residence. I am trying to decide whether to submit my form now and get a head start on the processing time, (planning to go up in 1-2 months) or wait until I'm in the country to submit.

Also, does anyone know whether I can submit the full completed form from the US. One of the guides stated that I needed to send it to my sponsor and they would need to send it in. I'd prefer to send it in myself.
Thank you

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hi Salsalvr,

I hope you'll get lots of advice and shared experiences about crossing the border with an outland app in process. I drove across the border to visit before we applied. My car was searched and having the apps in my possession was a real hassle with regard to proofing that I was planning to return to the US after my visit. I was allowed to enter but I had to apply to extend my visit because they wouldn't let me stay as long as I had planned.

I just wanted to be sure you understood that both the sponsor apps and your apps must be submitted together. You can be the one who puts the application in the mail, but you've got to include your sponsor's paperwork as well.

Good luck! Allison

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Salsalvr said:
I submitted on another thread before, but I wanted to find out what experiences people had had with submitting an outland application from the US, then trying to go into canada, particularly British Columbia (for 6 month visit) prior to getting permanent residence. I am trying to decide whether to submit my form now and get a head start on the processing time, (planning to go up in 1-2 months)...
You can do it. Rarely the border officials won't let an American in; usually there is no problem. They might just wave you through, or just ask a couple of questions. They might grill you, though, so be prepared with proof that you are planning on leaving Canada within 6 months (proof of job, house mortgage, apartment lease, etc.)
If you submit the form now, it won't even be opened in Mississauga for a month and a half, so shouldn't be a problem.

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
The application can be submitted from the u.s. or Canada it does not matter where it is mailed from, just make sure it includes everything. I would suggest applying before you come to Canada and bring with you a copy of your application and prood of delivery confirmation to prove that you have submitted a PR appliction.

I came to canada and entered through the Sarnia crossing in Michigan. I asked to stay for 6 months and was sent inside to get a visitor record. (at the time I had not filed my application, because I was coming to Canada to marry my fiance and then file the application) The person why I was coming I sd I was going to live with my fiance. He asked if we were gettign married I said yes in 2 days from then. He then asked if I was planning on filing for PR I said yes and that I had already paid the fees and done the medical exam. I tild him I had proof of this if he wanted to see it.
He asked if I had any questions about the PR process and then gave me a visitor record good for 6 1/2 months.

The whole process took 30minutes and I arrived at 10pm at night. Just make sure to bring proof of the application fees being paid, application being sent, ect. Also bring proof of the funds you have availible (I.E. Printout of bank account) to prove you have enough money to support yourself while you are in canada.

Just be honest and you should be fine. The sooner you submit your applciation the better since the process can take a long time deending on how lucky you are. some people get approved faster others take longer. Remember that when you come as a visitor you will NOT be allowed to work or go to school.

Cindy1

Star Member
Jan 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-04-2011
AOR Received.
07-03-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
26-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Hi,

I have a similiar case/question.

I live in the US (PR) and visit my husband in Canada, without any hassels. Our sponsorship application has been filed. The last time I got a stamp in my book from Canadian Customs it was automatically for 6 months.

Each visit I've been staying longer, 3 or 4 months in Canada at a time. Does this reflect poorly or positively regarding our sponsorship application? I just want to visit and stay as long as I can (within my allowed time) until the sponsorship is approved

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Cindy1 said:
Each visit I've been staying longer, 3 or 4 months in Canada at a time. Does this reflect poorly or positively regarding our sponsorship application? I just want to visit and stay as long as I can (within my allowed time) until the sponsorship is approved
For the PR application, this is good. It is additional evidence that your relationship is genuine. Keep proof of your visits, and if there is an interview you can show it to the visa officer.

chrimano

Star Member
Oct 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-3-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-20-2011
Med's Done....
Oct-29-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Feb-23-2011
VISA ISSUED...
March-22-2011
LANDED..........
March-27-2011
I was/am in a similar situation.
We filed our application together from the US begining of Dec. and a couple of weeks later flew to Canada to visit my spouses family for Christmas. My spouse was with me and the IO was just asking how many Christmasgifts we bought and how many bags we had. My spouse answered honestly. Each had one since the airline restriced the baggage allowance anyway.
I got a stamp in my passport and am good to stay for 6 months.
Should my PR take longer than this 6 months I will file for an extension.

hope this helps a little.