+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submitting in canada common-law application + OWP

quete

Feb 19, 2019
Hi there!
I'm putting all the paperwork together to send it after the weekend and as I was double-checking eveyrthing I started to doubt myself. This is kind of urgent, so I'd really appreciate some help.

Can anyone who've done it before tell me if I need to send the OWP checklist, OWP application form + supporting documents together with the application package for common-law or not?

The Complete Guide (IMM 5289) says the following: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html :
"If your spouse or common-law partner is living in Canada with you and is applying as a member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class, they can also apply for an open work permit when they apply for permanent residence. They must include a completed Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker form [IMM 5710] (PDF, 484.21KB) and the correct fee, explaining that they are applying for an open work permit."

And at the "Submit your application" section says:
1. Place a copy of the checklist (5589) on top of your complete application package.
2. If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class and the person you’re sponsoring is also applying for an open work permit, after the checklist, place:
- the work permit application form and documents (if applicable) and
- a separate fee payment receipt for the cost of the work permit application
The order of documents should be as follows:
  • checklist;
  • open work permit application (and supporting documents), if applicable;
  • any barcode pages;
  • supporting documents, in the order they are listed on the checklist.
Do I need to send the whole OWP application package, which means sending some duplicated documents?

Thanks a lot

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Yes. The OWP application is separate (even though they allow you to mail them together) and gets processed separately, so you need the whole application package.

Dec 10, 2020
My question is do I put the OwP at the back of the common law application?
You should put it on top of the package. In your cover letter ensure you mention that this is an application for both OWP and Spousal Sponsorship. Yes, there will be some duplicate documents, but better safe than sorry as they are processed entirely separately.

quete

Feb 19, 2019
My question is do I put the OwP at the back of the common law application?
The order of documents should be as follows:
  • checklist;
  • open work permit application (and supporting documents), if applicable;
  • any barcode pages;
  • supporting documents, in the order they are listed on the checklist.

jessg1

Dec 7, 2020
Okay so Unfortunatly I didn't know that and I put it at the back of the package. Is it gis only until gonna get sent back because of that ? My boyfriends Visa is only until Febuary