+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submit Letter of Acceptance that I won't use?

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
Hi all,

I got accepted by the University of Calgary 2 weeks ago. They've sent me an offer letter which states I have to accept within 30 days, meaning I have another 2 weeks to accept.

I didn't accept immediately as it wasn't my first choice and I was still waiting for that. Just yesterday I got an offer from UBC, which I intend to go to, but the acceptance letter will take quite a while to arrive, likely after the Calgary offer expires.

Can I submit the SP application using the soon-to-expire Calgary acceptance letter? Will they find out if I didn't actually take up the offer?

The reason I'm doing this is I'm very nervous about the processing time, which is up to 3 months, excluding medical. Also, the Calgary tuition is much lower than UBC's so there's less strain on proving my parents' financial ability.

hir3

Star Member
Jan 20, 2016
If you are not asked to pay any deposit to reserve your seat(at ucalgary), you can accept the offer. Later you may choose any one from the available offers.

If you are talking about fall intake, I am not sure which country you are from, but probably have enough time to wait for your offer letter. Have upfront medical exam so that your application will processed fast. Like for India, with upfront medical exam processing time is almost 3-4 weeks (without that 2-3 mnths).

Just yesterday I got an offer from UBC, which I intend to go to, but the acceptance letter will take quite a while to arrive, likely after the Calgary offer expires.
If you have got the offer letter by email you can apply with that. Some unis don't even provide hard copies of the offer letter. So I guess you are good to go...

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
hir3 said:
If you are not asked to pay any deposit to reserve your seat(at ucalgary), you can accept the offer. Later you may choose any one from the available offers.

If you are talking about fall intake, I am not sure which country you are from, but probably have enough time to wait for your offer letter. Have upfront medical exam so that your application will processed fast. Like for India, with upfront medical exam processing time is almost 3-4 weeks (without that 2-3 mnths).

If you have got the offer letter by email you can apply with that. Some unis don't even provide hard copies of the offer letter. So I guess you are good to go...
Thanks for the info.

Calgary is asking for a $500 deposit, although they did offer me a partial scholarship.

I'm planning to use that offer letter because the financial requirement will of course be much lower than UBC's, so it'll likely be easier to get approved for a SP. Will it be a problem if I submit the Calgary letter with an expired offer? Will they check with the university?

I'm from Malaysia, which needs a medical exam. Should I wait for them to request before doing it, or do it before they ask? I'm worried they'll get confused if I jump the gun.