+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submission of passport!!! Need help plz!!

Cycyna

Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2011
AOR Received.
01-07-2011
File Transfer...
01-12-2011
Med's Request
(Sent with app)
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2012
Hi everyone,
I have applied for permanent residency to join mu husband in Canada, I am from the states, but I often go to visit my husband and stay a month or 2. My application have been received in July 2011 and today I have received an email asking me to mail my passport and 2 recent pictures to finalize my visa, but the issue is, I am in Canada now visiting my husband and I have 30 days to mail the requested documents, but I am very confused, since I am here and my return ticket is not until May, I was thinking of sending everything from here, but where should I send it to. Should i send them to the buffalo office or to the Ontario office, I am very confused at this point, I know if I send them from here with a prepaid Canadian postal service envelope, will they returned to me here in Canada, or what. Sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone with this, but I am confused myself :-\ and it is frustrating that we can't get a hold of an actual person to talk to on the phone.

I have applied from outside of Canada, but now I am in Canada for a couple of months.

Did anyone went through this before or does anyone know what to do please?
Thank you.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Does the email not give instructions on where to mail your passport if you are visiting Canada?
I have heard of people mailing the passport to Fort Erie when they are in Canada.

If there are no specific instructions, send a case specific enquiry
https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=buffalo
And ask what to do explaining you are currently visiting canada.

Cycyna

Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2011
AOR Received.
01-07-2011
File Transfer...
01-12-2011
Med's Request
(Sent with app)
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2012
Unfortunately it doesn't Pinklady, it just gives me 2 options; the first one if my mailing address is in the US and the 2nd is if my mailing address is in Canada, obviously what they have in file is my mailing address in the states, so I was thinking it might be an issue if I send the docs from here :(

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Cycyna said:
Unfortunately it doesn't Pinklady, it just gives me 2 options; the first one if my mailing address is in the US and the 2nd is if my mailing address is in Canada, obviously what they have in file is my mailing address in the states, so I was thinking it might be an issue if I send the docs from here :(
It shouldnt be an issue at this stage. Do you have to complete an 'updated information' form to send back with the passport? I know I did when I submitted my passport to London. My mailing address was my parents address in the UK, but on the update info form I put my address in Canada. Plus included an address envelope and my passport came back fine.
I know Buffalo may have different policies though. If you have serious doubts, call or email. You can also update your mailing address online.

Cycyna

Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2011
AOR Received.
01-07-2011
File Transfer...
01-12-2011
Med's Request
(Sent with app)
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2012
I am not sure, and I don't think so, well here's exactly what was in the email they have sent me:

"Dear Applicant:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. We are now in a position to finalise your application.

Within the next 30 days please submit your passport(s) or a photocopy of all passport pages for you and your accompanying family members.

We also require two (2) recent photographs of yourself and each accompanying family member.

The issuance of your Confirmation of Permanent Resident document(s) is time sensitive so it is important for you to submit your passport(s) or passport photocopies as requested. You must submit these items by mail. We recommend that you submit a prepaid envelope for the return of your Confirmation of Permanent Resident document(s) and passport(s). Please refer to our mailing instructions for further information.

Please note, though your passport(s) or passport photocopies are due at our office within the next 30 days, you must check your documents upon receipt. There will be a validity date indicated, and you must become a Permanent Resident on or before that date. The validity of the Confirmation of Permanent Resident documents cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada immediately after landing, please consult the website regarding residency requirements in order to ensure that you retain your status in Canada.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Passport requirements

Photographs, height and eye colour

Instructions for passport submission

Important notice for family members

Immigration Section/Section de l'immigration

Consulate General of Canada

Consulat général du Canada

Buffalo, New York "

And when I click on the Mailing instructions it take me to this page (Agh it is not letting me post a link :(( )
( I will send it via PM) :((

Agh, this is frustrating, I thought I am just going to send everything to Fort Erie, and I know from there it is going to go to Buffalo for sure, then was thinking, since I have a prepaid envelope enclosed with the address in Canada, then it will automatically be sent back here. The weird thing is that they asked me for the passport or photocopies, are they going to stamp the passport or the photocopies?? or is it to send me the PR card? I am confused.

Cycyna

Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2011
AOR Received.
01-07-2011
File Transfer...
01-12-2011
Med's Request
(Sent with app)
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2012
Darn it, I can't insert the link, but I just copied here below what it says on the page i have been directed to:

Mailing instructions
If your mailing address is in the USA:

If you wish for us to return your documents to you, please purchase two prepaid, 9" x 12" USPS Express Mail or USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation envelopes.
Enclose one envelope in the other envelope. This second envelope we will use for when we need to mail you. Add the documents you wish to send to us.
Complete the mailing label on the return envelope showing your full mailing address in the "Deliver To" field and the address of the Canadian Consulate General in Buffalo in the “Return Address” field (see address below).
Make a note of the tracking number for each envelope.
Enter a daytime telephone number on the mailing label above the recipient address.
If you chose to not provide us with a return envelope, we will mail you via regular mail (US Postal Service First Class Mail).
If you have already provided us with a return envelope do not send us a 2nd envelope if you mail us more documents later.

Send your mail to:

Canadian Consulate General
Immigration Regional Program Centre
1 HSBC Center, Suite 3000
Buffalo, NY 14203-2884
U.S.A.

If your mailing address is in Canada:

Taking advantage of our proximity to the Canadian border, we have made arrangements to have your mail collected in Canada. Your documents will be mailed back to you from Canada.
The Post Office in Fort Erie will not accept commercial courier deliveries (courier packages must be sent to the Buffalo, NY address).

If you wish for us to return your documents to you, please purchase two prepaid 24 x 32 cm Xpresspost - National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.
Enclose one envelope in the other envelope. This second envelope we will use for when we need to mail you. Add the documents you wish to send to us.
If you wish for us to return your documents to you, please purchase two prepaid 24 x 32 cm Xpresspost - National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.
Complete the mailing label on the return envelope showing your full mailing address in the "Deliver To" field and the Fort Erie Post Office box address (below) in the "Return Address" field.
Make a note of the tracking number for each envelope.
If you chose to not provide us with a return envelope, we will mail you via regular mail (US Postal Service First Class Mail).

If you have already provided us with a return envelope do not send us a 2nd envelope if you mail us more documents later.

Send your mail to:

Canadian Consulate General
Immigration Regional Program Centre
P.O. Box 660
Fort Erie, Ontario
L2A 6R6

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Because US citizens are visa exempt, they (as well as the london office) are phasing out the passport request step. London now frequently just issues the COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) without asking for the passport or copies at all. The purpose of requesting the passport is to put a one time entry visa in it, but like I said, since US citizens are visa exempt, they are able to enter canada without this visa.
This is why they are asking for passport OR copies of all pages. If you use a prepaid envelope with your canadian address and send it to fort erie you will have no issues. They will send you the COPR which you need to 'land'. Since you're already in Canada, you can either take a trip to the border to land or make an appointment as a local office if the border is too far away.
When you land, you will sign the COPR, don't sign it before this!! Your PR card will arrive in the mail automatically 4-6 weeks after landing. They will ask for an address to send it to when you land.
After this, you can apply for a SIN and healthcare and you'll be a permanent resident.
Congrats!!

Cycyna

Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2011
AOR Received.
01-07-2011
File Transfer...
01-12-2011
Med's Request
(Sent with app)
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2012
Thanks Pinklady, you have been very helpful and what you said makes perfect sense :)
Thanks again