+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stupid IMM5406 Additional Family information, help please

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
Ok am ready to kill someone as I have already tore all my hair out near.. I would really like to meet that idiot that does the guides for canadian immigration, could they make it any harder?

I am filling in my husbands spousal app. He is brit I am cdn, we live in UK. We have read and re-read, but they don't make it easy. I am adding my 19yr old step son, an will do medical and police check for both him and my husband...but that stupid 5406 form...I have added my over 21yr old step daughters, and of course his parents, and his sisters...now the dumb question

Do I have to fill out a form 5406 for everyone named on his 5406? Meaning my step son (going to Canada) my step daughters (not going to Canada) and what about his retired sisters(not going to Canada) and also my canadian born son who is adult and living in Canada is also named on it as he is my husbands step son?
Boy someone sure could make a few bucks if they could create "dummies guide for canadian immigration)

any help is appreciated

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Cdnshaz said:
Ok am ready to kill someone as I have already tore all my hair out near.. I would really like to meet that idiot that does the guides for canadian immigration, could they make it any harder?

I am filling in my husbands spousal app. He is brit I am cdn, we live in UK. We have read and re-read, but they don't make it easy. I am adding my 19yr old step son, an will do medical and police check for both him and my husband...but that stupid 5406 form...I have added my over 21yr old step daughters, and of course his parents, and his sisters...now the dumb question

Do I have to fill out a form 5406 for everyone named on his 5406? Meaning my step son (going to Canada) my step daughters (not going to Canada) and what about his retired sisters(not going to Canada) and also my canadian born son who is adult and living in Canada is also named on it as he is my husbands step son?
Boy someone sure could make a few bucks if they could create "dummies guide for canadian immigration)

any help is appreciated
Take a deep breath, your spouse completes a 5406 showing (you) the son and daughter and his parents. Your son (over 18) completes 1 showing his parents and siblings Your spouse shows your son as a step child.

Here is what the instructions state:

You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, please answer “Not Applicable.”
It is very important that you list on this form any other children (even if they are already permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens) that you, your spouse or common-law partner or your dependent children might have who are not included in your Application for Permanent Residence. This includes married children, adopted children, stepchildren and any of your children who have been adopted by others, or who are in the custody of an ex-spouse or ex-common-law partner.

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
Thank you for the reply, but if you had not given me this information, where in the guide does it say that all kids over 18 need to fill out their own IMM5406? How does immigration expect people to get it right when they blatantly do not give the proper instructions to fill them out? I am not a stupid woman, but they just assume people can read their iddy biddy minds...whew my whinge for today

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Cdnshaz said:
Thank you for the reply, but if you had not given me this information, where in the guide does it say that all kids over 18 need to fill out their own IMM5406? How does immigration expect people to get it right when they blatantly do not give the proper instructions to fill them out? I am not a stupid woman, but they just assume people can read their iddy biddy minds...whew my whinge for today
You really have to read all the instructions, Page 12 of the instructions

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
You and each of your family members 18 years of
age or over, whether accompanying you to
Canada or not, must complete their own copy of
this form.

PMM

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
Cdnshaz said:
Cdnshaz, the forms aren't really that difficult. All the information you need is in the guide - read it carefully.

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
[

this form.

PMM
[/quote]

Would you be so kind as to paste the guide you are speaking of, as I have read the guide on CIC website and all I get is this
"Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, please answer “Not Applicable”.

It is very important that you list on this form any other children (even if they are already permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens) that you, your spouse or common-law partner or your dependent children might have who are not included in your Application for Permanent Residence. This includes married children, adopted children, stepchildren and any of your children who have been adopted by others, or who are in the custody of an ex-spouse or ex-common-law partner." no mention of what you just said...

would really appreciate it

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
PMM said:
Hi

this form.

PMM
This is kind of funny, because if the applicant's family members include the spouse/sponsor on this form... then the sponsor also has to fill one out listing the applicant as a family member! LOL! Makes a nice neat circle then...

I hope the parents weren't required to also fill in their own copies.... sigh... now I'm more confused than ever!

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to TLH, but for the purpose of the entire application, family members only include you, your spouse (if the spouse is NOT the sponsor), and any children (coming with you or not), never the parents or your siblings. There is a section for that on one form (I don't quite have them memorized, lol) but they ask you directly for your parents and siblings information.

alionger

Nov 20, 2013
some one have more than 7 brothers and sisters so he need to attach (SEPARATE SHEET) is that sheet a normal paper or attach another copy of this form?
plz help me thank you