+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying in US while Outland application is in progress

wo403

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
My wife is a Canadian citizen sponsoring me via the Outland application, while I live and work in Saudi Arabia. I have selected Abu Dhabi as my visa office, instead of Islamabad. We submitted all the required documents with the application, which was received by the CIC on April 1st this year.

My question is, how bad of an idea would it be if I applied for a student visa into the US, so I could live (somewhat) closer to my wife while our application went through.

I understand that this means that any documents that might get sent/further requested would go to Saudi and if they request an interview, I would have to fly to Abu Dhabi. Also, if I live in the US any longer than 6 months, I would probably have to provide a Police Clearance Certificate. Would there be further consequences?

What do you guys suggest?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
wo403 said:
My wife is a Canadian citizen sponsoring me via the Outland application, while I live and work in Saudi Arabia. I have selected Abu Dhabi as my visa office, instead of Islamabad. We submitted all the required documents with the application, which was received by the CIC on April 1st this year.

My question is, how bad of an idea would it be if I applied for a student visa into the US, so I could live (somewhat) closer to my wife while our application went through.

I understand that this means that any documents that might get sent/further requested would go to Saudi and if they request an interview, I would have to fly to Abu Dhabi. Also, if I live in the US any longer than 6 months, I would probably have to provide a Police Clearance Certificate. Would there be further consequences?

What do you guys suggest?
i can't see why there would be any consequence to doing this. Canada and US are different countries, and while they do share entry information when crossing, they don't share visa information openly (that I know of). Getting an FBI record is pretty simple and quick (current processing time is about 26 days). My suggestion would be if you do come to the US for a long period of time is to change your address with CIC for communication. It will make it easier for you. I'm not sure how it works with sending in your passport, so i would also suggest checking the thread for others in your country to ask how that would work.

wo403

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
i can't see why there would be any consequence to doing this. Canada and US are different countries, and while they do share entry information when crossing, they don't share visa information openly (that I know of). Getting an FBI record is pretty simple and quick (current processing time is about 26 days). My suggestion would be if you do come to the US for a long period of time is to change your address with CIC for communication. It will make it easier for you. I'm not sure how it works with sending in your passport, so i would also suggest checking the thread for others in your country to ask how that would work.
Thanks! I'm sorry for not getting back sooner, but I wasn't expecting such a prompt reply :D

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me that me moving could cause any major upsets to the application but I wanted to be absolutely sure before I took that kind of step. Plus I have been meaning to get back into school for some time now, but that's a whole different story.

Thanks for the tip on sending in the passports. Although this forum is a gold mine, I couldn't find much for people applying through Abu Dhabi, the process seems painfully slow and people seem to drop out of these forums.