+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying in Quebec after PR through FSW

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hi all,

I have prospects of getting PR through FSWP, my PR application is at the last stage. I plan to complete MBA in Canada, for which I have received admit from a business school in Montreal. I want to know if I can study in Quebec with my PR, or do I need to get a separate study permit too?

I do intend to move out of Quebec after my studies finish, but I can't just let go of the admission offer I have received. Will it be a problem for me considering that I receive PR through FSWP and not a Quebec Immigration Stream?

Thanks,
Aparna

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hi all,

I have prospects of getting PR through FSWP, my PR application is at the last stage. I plan to complete MBA in Canada, for which I have received admit from a business school in Montreal. I want to know if I can study in Quebec with my PR, or do I need to get a separate study permit too?

I do intend to move out of Quebec after my studies finish, but I can't just let go of the admission offer I have received. Will it be a problem for me considering that I receive PR through FSWP and not a Quebec Immigration Stream?

Thanks,
Aparna
As a PR holder you can work/study anywhere in Canada ...

russellx

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Visa Office......
AVO
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2016 (re-meds)
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
11-09-2017
So I can land in Montreal directly? And the visa officer at the port of entry cannot deny me entry if I want to study in Quebec?
You can land in Montreal. And your landing formalities will be completed in Montreal. Because you did not become a PR via a CSQ, you would have to give an address outside of Quebec for your PR card to be posted there. And in some cases, you would have to show a ticket for your onward journey to a different location other than Quebec.

So my suggestion is to do a U-turn and come back to Quebec once you have your PR card if it is feasible.

You can also follow the answers here - https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/informations/questions-answers.html

Russ

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
You can land in Montreal. And your landing formalities will be completed in Montreal. Because you did not become a PR via a CSQ, you would have to give an address outside of Quebec for your PR card to be posted there. And in some cases, you would have to show a ticket for your onward journey to a different location other than Quebec.

So my suggestion is to do a U-turn and come back to Quebec once you have your PR card if it is feasible.

You can also follow the answers here - https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/informations/questions-answers.html

Russ
So, what if I land somewhere else, and then come to Montreal via domestic flights, roads, train after a few days, because doing a U-turn won't be possible for me.

russellx

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Visa Office......
AVO
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2016 (re-meds)
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
11-09-2017
So, what if I land somewhere else, and then come to Montreal via domestic flights, roads, train after a few days, because doing a U-turn won't be possible for me.
That works fine as well.

You can use your CoPR document pending receipt of your PR card.

All the best!

Russ

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
That works fine as well.

You can use your CoPR document pending receipt of your PR card.

All the best!

Russ
My aunt lives in Calgary so planning to go there first. How long should I stay in Calgary before moving for studies to Montreal? Is there a safe period or few days is fine ? I can't stay for a very long period ..

russellx

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Visa Office......
AVO
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2016 (re-meds)
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
11-09-2017
My aunt lives in Calgary so planning to go there first. How long should I stay in Calgary before moving for studies to Montreal? Is there a safe period or few days is fine ? I can't stay for a very long period .
You could technically move to Montreal with your CoPR document as soon as your landing formalities have been completed in Calgary.:)

Russ

nbhar

Feb 5, 2018
Hi all,

Thanks,
Aparna
Hi Aparna,

I am in the same dilemma now. COuld you please tell me if you were successful in joining the business school in Montreal with your federal PR?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you apply as a domestic student or international student? Often easier to get admission because the school wants the international fees. Also often a certain amount of spots allocated for domestic and international schools.

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hi Aparna,

I am in the same dilemma now. COuld you please tell me if you were successful in joining the business school in Montreal with your federal PR?

Thanks!
Yes, I have received the admit offer and will be joining in May. You may send a priavte message to discuss further.

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Did you apply as a domestic student or international student? Often easier to get admission because the school wants the international fees. Also often a certain amount of spots allocated for domestic and international schools.
Applied as intl. student, but will get status changed once I land there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Applied as intl. student, but will get status changed once I land there.
Would make sure your school is aware of your intentions. As I mentioned previously there are different standards and spots reserved for international students. You have been admitted as an international student. I would make sure you still had admission as a domestic student.

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Would make sure your school is aware of your intentions. As I mentioned previously there are different standards and spots reserved for international students. You have been admitted as an international student. I would make sure you still had admission as a domestic student.
Of course ! I have spoken with the school and there is a formal procedure for getting your status changed.