+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study/Work permit issued by Immigration officer at POE was lesser than visa stamped in passport

May 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, we landed in Toronto. I realized that the study/work permit and OWP issued by the Immigration officer was only for 1 year. My post graduate course is for 2 years and I believe that the validity of our permits should be 2 years + 3 months to facilitate PGWP application. We are unable to correct since we were already out of the airport.

Has anyone encountered this? How do we deal with such a situation? When is the best time to apply for an extension? Can this still be corrected? Your responses would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You apply for an extension 2-3 months before the expiry of the permit. It is not an error on the part of the visa officer.

May 11, 2021
You apply for an extension 2-3 months before the expiry of the permit. It is not an error on the part of the visa officer.
So there is no need to raise this, all my network says the permits should be same with the period stamped on the passport. I was planning to call the IRCC hotline to clarify. Thanks