+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa to PR conversion

muskhan

Sep 30, 2021
My husband has already applied for express entry in 2019 and the lockdown started so we were stuck in our home country and the agent said that it will take 2 more years for the immigration to open so the fastest way to get entry is a Student visa.
I wanted to know that if my husband takes up 1 yr course and geta 1 yr work permit,will this increase his CRS score of canadian education and canadian experience?
Can his work permit be converted into a PR?His current score is 440

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Not sure what your agent means.

He may get an invitation for PR as it depends on scores and if there are any changes to Express Entry program. He needs to get the study permit first - show career/education advancment, funds and ties to home country.

muskhan

Sep 30, 2021
the agent means that the PR is now open only for healthcare ppl n those under the CEC so he said that if you are outside canada right now the easiest way to get in is not the express entry n PR but the student visa...which will also eventually increase the CRS score

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
the agent means that the PR is now open only for healthcare ppl n those under the CEC so he said that if you are outside canada right now the easiest way to get in is not the express entry n PR but the student visa...which will also eventually increase the CRS score
CEC is open to all not just healthcare. The biggest issue is getting approved for a study permit. This depends on your spouse’s profile and program, and then getting a skilled job. A one year PGWP may not get him a year of Canadian work experience if he doesn’t find a skilled job immediately.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How many years PGWP is required to be counted as canadian work experience?
You need one year Canadian work experience for CEC. Getting only a one year PGWP may not get your spouse a year of experience because your spouse may takes months to find a job in NOC A, B or 0.

muskhan

Sep 30, 2021
oh yes you are right so if my husband has 1 year PGWP and if he doesnt find a job for 6 months so then he will be left with only 6 months pgwp when he finds a job so can that be extended by the employer?If yes then what is the procedure and approximately how much time will it take?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
oh yes you are right so if my husband has 1 year PGWP and if he doesnt find a job for 6 months so then he will be left with only 6 months pgwp when he finds a job so can that be extended by the employer?If yes then what is the procedure and approximately how much time will it take?
No he can’t extend his work permit then. His employer has to apply for a LMIA and pay $1k. The employer has to prove that no Canadian or PR could be hired. The process is time consuming (months to process) and expensive so few go through the process. Then if employer gets a LMIA, your spouse applies for a closed work permit. The spouse can’t work once PGWP expires and until closed work permit is approved which will take months. Don’t plan on that route.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
My husband has already applied for express entry in 2019 and the lockdown started so we were stuck in our home country and the agent said that it will take 2 more years for the immigration to open so the fastest way to get entry is a Student visa.
I wanted to know that if my husband takes up 1 yr course and geta 1 yr work permit,will this increase his CRS score of canadian education and canadian experience?
Can his work permit be converted into a PR?His current score is 440
He can go the study route, but depending on his profile, getting a SP is not easy. He should apply for a program that shows progression in his academics (so if he already has Masters, he should do a PhD or another masters with specialization), and apply to a public university. He should avoid 1 year college programs or post graduate certificates as much as possible.

Also, with the current FSW pool, 440 will not get him an ITA in the first 4-6 draws at least..

muskhan

Sep 30, 2021
something is very confusing..some people are telling me that if after study visa i get a 1yr work permit then it is surely going to be extended...no questions asked because there are few people who stay in canada for years on a work permit...My friend personally knows 1 who has a 20 yr work permit
So can my employer just keep extending my work permit or will he have to do LMIA?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
something is very confusing..some people are telling me that if after study visa i get a 1yr work permit then it is surely going to be extended...no questions asked because there are few people who stay in canada for years on a work permit...My friend personally knows 1 who has a 20 yr work permit
So can my employer just keep extending my work permit or will he have to do LMIA?
You cannot extend an open work permit. Your employer needs an approved LMIA and closed work permit. Someone could be on a closed work permit in a low skilled NOC for many years.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
would suggest to always rely on the official IRCC information. other people’s experience are anecdotal at best. and even if some people were able to get wp extension, it doesn’t mean everybody else will get the same. without knowing the full profile and history of those extended, we can only speculate.

few people stay in Canada on a work permit for years because they usually apply for PR once they qualify. a PR does not need work permit to be able to work and stay in Canada legally.

as advised by others, employer will need to apply for LMIA once the employee’s work permit is about to expire. that is if the employer still wants to keep the employee.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You agent is referring to a one time program during the pandemic where students and workers were able to apply for PR.