+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa refused

Kamalpreetkaur

Jun 6, 2017
Hello, MY sister applied for Computer System Engineering in Northern College for Sept 2022 intake and it got rejected.
I received GCMS notes today, in which reason mentioned is " Educational documents presented in the application reflect low to low average prior academic history - more specifically in core educational subjects which i have placed more weight on than optional subjects."
She did one year diploma in computer application after 12th grade and these are her grades:
Physics - 56
Chem -56
Maths- 68
Computer science- 65
English-64

Ielts: overall 6.5, 6 each

Could anyone please suggest, what can be done in this situation? how to make profile strong? or what are alternative. Any suggestion would be helpful. PLEASE

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, MY sister applied for Computer System Engineering in Northern College for Sept 2022 intake and it got rejected.
I received GCMS notes today, in which reason mentioned is " Educational documents presented in the application reflect low to low average prior academic history - more specifically in core educational subjects which i have placed more weight on than optional subjects."
She did one year diploma in computer application after 12th grade and these are her grades:
Physics - 56
Chem -56
Maths- 68
Computer science- 65
English-64

Could anyone please suggest, what can be done in this situation? how to make profile strong? or what are alternative. Any suggestion would be helpful. PLEASE
Can she improve her grades? Many students in Ontario redo their grade 12 year to improve her grade. She will not get approval until she can improve her poor grades. Then select a better school.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Physics - 56
Chem -56
Maths- 68
Computer science- 65
English-64

Was it an SDS application? From where did she apply? Are those scores out of 100?

Kamalpreetkaur

Jun 6, 2017
Yes, it's SDS application. She applied from India ans scores are out of 100.

@Naturgrl she passed her 12th in 2019. I doubt if she is eligible now to fill improvement form, since it should be filled within year. Please correct me if I m wrong.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Physics - 56
Chem -56
Maths- 68
Computer science- 65
English-64

1. Seeing that she's taking a CS course, tell her to do a couple relevant certificates from NPTEL.
2. Do one or two relevant Coursera certs. Look at the Google IT Support or the Google IT Automation with Python certs. Make sure you get a Credly badge when you complete either of these certs and then attach your Credly transcript in your new Letter of Explanation/SOP.
3. Improve IELTs.
4. If possible, do an entry-level IT cert from AWS or Microsoft.

In your next SOP/LOE:
1. Tell the officer that it was unreasonable of him to accord more weight to Physics and Chemistry because the enrolled course relates to Computer Science (and not Physics or Chemistry) and that your scores in Computer Science and Maths were okay.
2. Quote the Federal Court case Patel v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2020 FC 517 in which Justice Norris says, "One can complete a program without necessarily excelling in it. And many of the factors that can determine success are dynamic, not static."
3. Argue that the officer should look at the overall picture, including the certifications instead of laser-focussing on the grades of 2 non-relevant subjects.

You don't have to do everything I listed obviously. Pick and chose as you see fit.

sammy190

Aug 23, 2022
Physics - 56
Chem -56
Maths- 68
Computer science- 65
English-64

Did u get medicals, or instantly been rejected?

Kamalpreetkaur

Jun 6, 2017
@DesiPikachu it's refused again. Strong SOP. Attached Google Certifications. But still. I feel like giving up now. IRCC will never understand how hard it is to stay alone. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@DesiPikachu it's refused again. Strong SOP. Attached Google Certifications. But still. I feel like giving up now. IRCC will never understand how hard it is to stay alone. Thanks
What were reasons for refusal? Google certification is not relevant at all. She really needed to address her grades and re-take some of her secondary courses. In Canada, you can always retake and upgrade your courses at adult education centres. Consider another school and program if she already has a one year diploma. She needs to show career advancement with the program and not sure a program at Northern College can justify the costs with a high salary on her return home. I am sorry you are alone but this has no bearing on her study permit.