+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa refused based on Purpose of visit

Yemisiolami

Jun 21, 2019
Hello everyone, I need advice on this issue.

I am a wife and mother of two in Nigeria. I have B.sc and M.sc in food Technology but wish to start a new career part in I.T (which is more lucrative in my home country).

I got admission into a 2- year post graduate diploma in data Analytics, for fall 2019 admission ( which I plan to go without my family), but was recently declined student Visa based on purpose of viSit.

I plan to re apply but I need advise so I won't be declined again

Benjena

May 28, 2019
Food Tech and IT are not in away related. Purpose of visa as reason for refusal is when your past degree and work experience are not in line with your prospecting study. It could secondly mean that you have no deep knowledge of the course your pursuing. It is likely impossible for VO to grant your visa. Thirdly in VO mind he might think why is she going for Post grad after having masters?

I suggest you change your course to food related course or better of go for Post grad in Business mgt

Yemisiolami

Jun 21, 2019
Thank you for the response.

I recently took a python programming course and attached a letter to that effect. Do you think that counts?

Also, I am trying to completely change career path, that's why I opted for post graduate diploma.

What

Yemisiolami

Jun 21, 2019
Food Tech and IT are not in away related. Purpose of visa as reason for refusal is when your past degree and work experience are not in line with your prospecting study. It could secondly mean that you have no deep knowledge of the course your pursuing. It is likely impossible for VO to grant your visa. Thirdly in VO mind he might think why is she going for Post grad after having masters?

I suggest you change your course to food related course or better of go for Post grad in Business mgt

Thank you for the response.

I recently took a python programming course and attached a letter to that effect. Do you think that counts?

Also, I am trying to completely change career path, that's why I opted for post graduate diploma.

What

Benjena

May 28, 2019
You have one visible option. Have you had good work experience in IT related industry? If yes then justify your career change on your sop as your reason for switching to IT from Food tech. Otherwise it may be impossible task for u. VO consider alot your degree or work experiences when looking at the course you applied

Yemisiolami

Jun 21, 2019
You have one visible option. Have you had good work experience in IT related industry? If yes then justify your career change on your sop as your reason for switching to IT from Food tech. Otherwise it may be impossible task for u. VO consider alot your degree or work experiences when looking at the course you applied
I don't have work experience in IT but, my work experience and school thesis, exposed me to data analysis. This actually triggered my passion for it.

Though I included my m.sc certificate in my first application, is it advisable to exclude it if I decide to re apply?

Benjena

May 28, 2019
If your final intention is to get PR. Swtich back to food Tech or business management program so that they can approve your visa.

Excluding your MSC now is risky since is already on system.you should have excluded it before your first app.

Yemisiolami

Jun 21, 2019
If your final intention is to get PR. Swtich back to food Tech or business management program so that they can approve your visa.

Excluding your MSC now is risky since is already on system.you should have excluded it before your first app.
Thank you very much. You've been helpful

Benjena

May 28, 2019
You should havr seek for advice before application. Your profile been rejected just for purpose of study proof that u were almost through.

To have your visa approved always be in VOs mind

Yemisiolami

Jun 21, 2019
You should havr seek for advice before application. Your profile been rejected just for purpose of study proof that u were almost through.

To have your visa approved always be in VOs mind
Do you think re writing my SOP to sell my intention to the VO could give me a chance?

Benjena

May 28, 2019
The point is how will you justify that your degree course and work experience are online with your intending program. You dont just change program without linking this two in canada. It is not like Nigeria Education system my dear.why do u want to do that program base on your academic background or general professional background. If you have been working in IT industry qnd want to further to learn more it is totally fine.

I hope you understand

Reactions: afrotimy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would also have to make sense to study in Canada given you have children. Many of the basic IT programs are available in Nigeria. If you are switching industries you may need to start with foundation courses in IT versus going into data analytics. In general going back to school must make sense based on your previous education, previous work experience and make sense based on your current life. For example if you are supporting the our family it doesn’t normally make sense to go to Canada and pay high fees to attend a course unless you have lots of savings.

benygod2

Jul 19, 2016
You would also have to make sense to study in Canada given you have children. Many of the basic IT programs are available in Nigeria. If you are switching industries you may need to start with foundation courses in IT versus going into data analytics. In general going back to school must make sense based on your previous education, previous work experience and make sense based on your current life. For example if you are supporting the our family it doesn’t normally make sense to go to Canada and pay high fees to attend a course unless you have lots of savings.
I don't understand your advice. Are you discouraging her from going to Canada to pursue her dream? The fact that she is changing career path is not abnormal. People change career all the time. Whether Nigeria has cheaper foundation class should not be an hindrance to seeking doing same in Canada. Please, do not discourage her if do have anything tangible to contribute to how best she can approach her denial in order to reapply. Allow people that have experience in this give her proper guidance. Thank you

Reactions: afrotimy

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I don't understand your advice. Are you discouraging her from going to Canada to pursue her dream? The fact that she is changing career path is not abnormal. People change career all the time. Whether Nigeria has cheaper foundation class should not be an hindrance to seeking doing same in Canada. Please, do not discourage her if do have anything tangible to contribute to how best she can approach her denial in order to reapply. Allow people that have experience in this give her proper guidance. Thank you
The member is not discouraging her, she’s free to apply as many times as she wants to pursue her dreams .Canuck78 is using the same logic the VO officer more than likely uses when determining whether or not a foreign national should be granted a visa. Basically give immigration solid reasons why she should get a visa , and that she’ll be going home after the completion .However unless she satisfies the VO’s concerns she won’t be getting the visa

Last edited: