+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa refusal on the basis of R(216)(1)(b) GCMS explained

anyakaur

Oct 10, 2013
Hi,
My brother had applied for a student visa in September 2022 for Post graduate certificate in Project Management in Sheridan College under SDS. I ordered his GCMS notes and it states the following:
"Application reviewed. Applicant obtained a Bachelor of Technology in 2018. PA is seeking a SP to attend a College certificate in Project management at Sheridan college. Chosen program and course content at college level at such expense illogical in light of the PA's reported scholarly and work history. Thus, the proposed program does not adequately demonstrate a logical progression of studies. Given the applicant's previous education & employment history, i am not satisfied the motivation to pursue this particular program at this point in time in Canada, is reasonable. The applicant has failed to satisfy me that pursuing the selected program of study is reasonable given the high cost of international study in Canada when weighed against the potential career/employment benefits after completion, and the local options available for similar studies. On balance, I am not satisfied that the applicant is a bona fide student who will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. Application refused as per R216 (1) (b). "

He has been working as technical support and related fields since his degree due to unavailability of related jobs at a decent pay scale in his field.
His ielts test score is 6.5 bands overall with none less than 6. Also, finished his Btech in Civil Engineering with 69%
I believe the SOP did not help either as after going through it now, i find its not strong enough.

We are planning to apply again but in courses such as construction management, advanced building sciences (available in conestoga college), etc.
Can someone please guide us if this is the right thing to do or should we go for a 2 year course and write a stronger SOP?
Any help is appreciated! Please and thank you.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
My brother had applied for a student visa in September 2022 for Post graduate certificate in Project Management in Sheridan College under SDS. I ordered his GCMS notes and it states the following:
"Application reviewed. Applicant obtained a Bachelor of Technology in 2018. PA is seeking a SP to attend a College certificate in Project management at Sheridan college. Chosen program and course content at college level at such expense illogical in light of the PA's reported scholarly and work history. Thus, the proposed program does not adequately demonstrate a logical progression of studies. Given the applicant's previous education & employment history, i am not satisfied the motivation to pursue this particular program at this point in time in Canada, is reasonable. The applicant has failed to satisfy me that pursuing the selected program of study is reasonable given the high cost of international study in Canada when weighed against the potential career/employment benefits after completion, and the local options available for similar studies. On balance, I am not satisfied that the applicant is a bona fide student who will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. Application refused as per R216 (1) (b). "

He has been working as technical support and related fields since his degree due to unavailability of related jobs at a decent pay scale in his field.
His ielts test score is 6.5 bands overall with none less than 6. Also, finished his Btech in Civil Engineering with 69%
I believe the SOP did not help either as after going through it now, i find its not strong enough.

We are planning to apply again but in courses such as construction management, advanced building sciences (available in conestoga college), etc.
Can someone please guide us if this is the right thing to do or should we go for a 2 year course and write a stronger SOP?
Should do a two year program. How do the courses you mention build on his career and advance his education. He will have same issues as in the current GCMS notes. How will the programs costs (now 2 years) be justified with a higher paying job and benefits? What is special about a Canadian construction management or advanced building program vs. attending the same program in home country? What is his current knowledge in construction if he is not even working in the field now? Seems like going for PR rather than building on career aspirations and expanding IT education. The programs are not even related to his Bachelor of IT.

Reactions: Mansoor Amin

anyakaur

Oct 10, 2013
Should do a two year program. How do the courses you mention build on his career and advance his education. He will have same issues as in the current GCMS notes. How will the programs costs (now 2 years) be justified with a higher paying job and benefits? What is special about a Canadian construction management or advanced building program vs. attending the same program in home country? What is his current knowledge in construction if he is not even working in the field now? Seems like going for PR rather than building on career aspirations and expanding IT education. The programs are not even related to his Bachelor of IT.
Thank you so much for your response. Everything you mentioned is spot on, i believe this is all very important for trying again. Gaining international exposure will definitely help him get better jobs back home. I am also more inclined for him to do a 2 year course (which i understand now we have to justify the costs) or apply for PR to immigrate or expand on his IT education which i believe will be harder to get a study visa for.
I did not understand your last sentence, it says the programs are not even related to his Bachelor of IT, i have mentioned that he has B.Tech in Civil engineering, therefore the thought of courses related to that field.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for your response. Everything you mentioned is spot on, i believe this is all very important for trying again. Gaining international exposure will definitely help him get better jobs back home. I am also more inclined for him to do a 2 year course (which i understand now we have to justify the costs) or apply for PR to immigrate or expand on his IT education which i believe will be harder to get a study visa for.
I did not understand your last sentence, it says the programs are not even related to his Bachelor of IT, i have mentioned that he has B.Tech in Civil engineering, therefore the thought of courses related to that field.
GCMS notes say Bachelor of IT so don’t see how the programs relate to that degree, and he has no work experience in construction.

Nlehal

Star Member
Jan 31, 2017
GCMS notes say Bachelor of IT so don’t see how the programs relate to that degree, and he has no work experience in construction.
My sister in the same boat.

She has Master of Commerce and 6 years Accounting experience. Any course suggestions? Do you know any professional help for SOP?

GCMS notes

"Client would like to study Project Management and Professional Communication. Client has Master of Commerce.

Chosen program and course content at the college level at such expense appears illogical/redundant In Ilght of the applicant's reported scholarly/work history, thus the proposed program does not adequate ly demonstrate a logical progression of studies, hence Iam not satisfied that applicant would not have already achieved the benefits of this program.

Applicant has not satisfied me that the course of study is reasonable given the high cost of

international study in Canada when weighed against the potential career/employment benefits and taking into account local options for similar studies. On balance, Iam not satisfied that the applicant

is a genuine student who will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. Application refused as per R216 (1) (b). Refusal letter sent to applicant."

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

She has Master of Commerce and 6 years Accounting experience. Any course suggestions? Do you know any professional help for SOP?

GCMS notes

"Client would like to study Project Management and Professional Communication. Client has Master of Commerce.

Chosen program and course content at the college level at such expense appears illogical/redundant In Ilght of the applicant's reported scholarly/work history, thus the proposed program does not adequate ly demonstrate a logical progression of studies, hence Iam not satisfied that applicant would not have already achieved the benefits of this program.

Applicant has not satisfied me that the course of study is reasonable given the high cost of

international study in Canada when weighed against the potential career/employment benefits and taking into account local options for similar studies. On balance, Iam not satisfied that the applicant

is a genuine student who will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. Application refused as per R216 (1) (b). Refusal letter sent to applicant."

Thanks
Master of Accounting. She needs to take a program that advances her Masters and shows that she will make more money in future employment to justify costs after a Canadian program.

Reactions: Nlehal

anyakaur

Oct 10, 2013
Hello,
It says Bachelor of Technology- Not information technology. A Bachelor of Technology can be earned in any engineering field. Now i am thinking if the visa officer mistook it for Bachelor of IT :(
Anyway thank you for your response, i really appreciate it :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
It says Bachelor of Technology- Not information technology. A Bachelor of Technology can be earned in any engineering field. Now i am thinking if the visa officer mistook it for Bachelor of IT :(
Anyway thank you for your response, i really appreciate it :)
Doesn’t matter. Project management is not building on education or current career goals.

EssKay1234

Oct 25, 2022

GCMS notes

Thanks
Hi,

when did you order the notes and when did you get it ?

anyakaur

Oct 10, 2013
Doesn’t matter. Project management is not building on education or current career goals.
But how is that there is a dime a dozen students after finishing their degrees in civil engineering being accepted and getting visas approved for project management?
A project management specialization is usually what gets to be a project manager for a construction company...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But how is that there is a dime a dozen students after finishing their degrees in civil engineering being accepted and getting visas approved for project management?
A project management specialization is usually what gets to be a project manager for a construction company...
Where in the profile is there anything about him working in the construction industry? He doesn’t work in construction nor has a civil engineering degree. Says he works in technical support which has no ties to project management. He needs to build on current career showing progression and higher pay.