+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa got rejected. Please help

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
My sister already has a master's in Mathematics from India (2018) and got the offer from Univ of Regina in Masters's in Statistics. But Study visa got rejected and the below reason was given. Can someone help in understanding what the below reason means? Thanks

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My sister already has a master's in Mathematics from India (2018) and got the offer from Univ of Regina in Masters's in Statistics. But Study visa got rejected and the below reason was given. Can someone help in understanding what the below reason means? Thanks

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
Order GCMS notes. She was refused because she doesn’t have enough funds for the program or to support herself. Did she pay tuition and show funds?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

As said in the refusal, her financials are the issue. We can't help you to understand what that means without understanding what was submitted with the application, if tuition was paid in advance, who is funding her studies, how much of a balance she showed, etc.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
@scylla @Naturgrl Thanks for the responses. I am mentioning most of it here but we can talk on phone too.

I am looking to get help from someone to reapply. Are you a consultant who can help? If not, can you recommend someone best? Her intention is very genuine for studying. Please help.

Her Background
She has two brothers. Myself (PR in Canada) and other brother living in India, working in corporate. Both married.
Father has a rental business. Shows minimal ITR. Not much in the bank account so far.
Mother housewife.

Current
She has chosen to continue the Winter 2022 term online since University allowed her to continue with the courses. She will lose money if she can't get a study permit. I have applied for GCMS notes in the meantime.

What was submitted in the application:
She applied with 1-year University fees (11K CAD) and 10K CAD GIC.
She showed nothing else because she thought it might not be required.
She was also very honest in the SOP about not working in the relevant field after she graduated due to her father's illness and covid.
Now she wants to study practical subjects and get into a relevant job in her field after studying statistics and go back to her home country and work in a relevant company.

University admitted:
Univ of Regina - MSc Statistics

Previous Education
M.sc marks = 81.15% ,Mathematics - 2016 to 2018
B.sc marks = 76.375% , Mathematics - 2013 to 2016

Work Experience
Worked 6 months in 2018 in Marketing which was not relevant to her study. She mentioned this in SOP. After that, she used to give tuition to school students and could not work in a corporate because of taking care of family in home city and then due to Covid.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Again order GCMS notes. She paid her tuition but her living costs are at a minimum. So there was not mention of purpose of travel, just funds. She has a MSc and taking another MSc so that could be an issue. When and why did she start her studies, and not defer. Can’t advise a consultant but click on Cohen Immigration Law at the top of this page, they moderate this forum.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Thanks @Naturgrl . She was going to do online courses in Winter 2022 and got the visa refusal. She is continuing the course because she thinks she can get a visa before next Summer term. Worst case is she will lose the money for the two courses if study permit keeps getting rejected.

Let me know if this is not a good idea. Thanks.

cc: @Naturgrl @scylla

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks @Naturgrl . She was going to do online courses in Winter 2022 and got the visa refusal. She is continuing the course because she thinks she can get a visa before next Summer term. Worst case is she will lose the money for the two courses if study permit keeps getting rejected.

So she is only taking two courses - part time? How long is the program (# of semesters)? It is her choice but usually it is advised to defer until you get a study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Order GCMS notes as said above.

She needs to increase her proof of funds. IRCC seems to have concerns about how she is going to pay for the remainder of her studies. This refusal reason could also indicate that IRCC doesn't understand why she is spending so much money to come study in Canada given she already has a master's but no real work experience in the field. Doesn't really make sense to be taking a second master's right now from an outsider's perspective. Makes it look like her primary purpose for coming to Canada is to immigrate.

Reactions: Naturgrl

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
So she is only taking two courses - part time? How long is the program (# of semesters)? It is her choice but usually it is advised to defer until you get a study permit.
Thank you @Naturgrl .. Her two courses are basically online courses from the University of Regina. These are PIMS courses https://courses.pims.math.ca/ which her advisor allowed. 2 courses are considered full time. The program in total is 6 semesters.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Order GCMS notes as said above.

She needs to increase her proof of funds. IRCC seems to have concerns about how she is going to pay for the remainder of her studies. This refusal reason could also indicate that IRCC doesn't understand why she is spending so much money to come study in Canada given she already has a master's but no real work experience in the field. Doesn't really make sense to be taking a second master's right now from an outsider's perspective. Makes it look like her primary purpose for coming to Canada is to immigrate.
Thank you @scylla for the response. We have ordered GCMS notes and waiting to understand the reason before reapplying. By the way, we want to prepare in the meantime, what would be the best way to show the funds?
Should I pay the remaining fees (11K CAD) for the second year from here in Canada? Or should we just show money in the bank account in India?
Or Education loans would be better?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you @scylla for the response. We have ordered GCMS notes and waiting to understand the reason before reapplying. By the way, we want to prepare in the meantime, what would be the best way to show the funds?
Should I pay the remaining fees (11K CAD) for the second year from here in Canada? Or should we just show money in the bank account in India?
Or Education loans would be better?
Bank account. Don't pay the second year fees.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Bank account. Don't pay the second year fees.
Thanks @scylla for the response. I have messaged cohen immigration and waiting for a response. At this time, we are looking for a good consultant who can guide us. With all the forum's help, we are clear on what things we need to have ready before the GCMS notes arrive.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla Thanks. One last question, should money be shown in the parent's account or the student's account?
Either one is fine. The parents can sponsor the studies. Don't move the funds. If the funds are with the parents, then leave them with the parents.