+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study visa for stepson

straightdrive

May 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am a permanent resident in Canada (Alberta Resident). I am looking for guidance on the scenarios that I have to do with sponsoring my wife and her minor son to Canada. They both are Singaporean citizens. I think I have two options. Can someone please correct me if I am allowed to do the following:

1. I am thinking of applying for Inland application after their arrival in Canada as Visitors (Singapore being a visa exempt country). Now, is it possible to apply for my stepson's study visa after he arrives in Canada. Can someone have two application running at the same time (study permit application and Spouse visa application).

2. The other option is applying as Outland applicant (as they still have four months before they come to Canada). Can I apply for my stepson's study visa too while he is still in Singapore? Will my wife be allowed to enter Canada saying she would like to stay with her husband until her spouse application gets processed? My step, with his study visa approved, would be able to attend school straightaway.

Please enlighten me :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys,

I am a permanent resident in Canada (Alberta Resident). I am looking for guidance on the scenarios that I have to do with sponsoring my wife and her minor son to Canada. They both are Singaporean citizens. I think I have two options. Can someone please correct me if I am allowed to do the following:

1. I am thinking of applying for Inland application after their arrival in Canada as Visitors (Singapore being a visa exempt country). Now, is it possible to apply for my stepson's study visa after he arrives in Canada. Can someone have two application running at the same time (study permit application and Spouse visa application).

2. The other option is applying as Outland applicant (as they still have four months before they come to Canada). Can I apply for my stepson's study visa too while he is still in Singapore? Will my wife be allowed to enter Canada saying she would like to stay with her husband until her spouse application gets processed? My step, with his study visa approved, would be able to attend school straightaway.

Please enlighten me :)
How old is your stepson? If you can show evidence of family sponsorship, then I believe he should be able to attend school as a domestic student (i.e. without a study permit) provided he is still studying at the primary or secondary school level.

straightdrive

May 23, 2015
Hi Scylla, thanks for your reply. I've already checked with the local boards and both of them (Public and Catholic) have asked for the study permit.
Actually I am concerned about whether I can apply study permit from within Canada while his and my wife's PR application is in process.

Same issue if we apply offshore...

Thanks