+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa - Expiry Date 6 months after graduation?

piglett99

Aug 14, 2019
Hi Everyone,

My study permit expiry date is December 5th 2019 … I finished my course and received my certificate on July 4th.

Do I have 90 days to apply for an extension of my permit from July 4th ? Or am I ok to apply closer to December?

I wish to continue studying and have found a course that will accept me from January 2020.

I'm confused because most people seem to have an expiry date on their permit that is much closer to their graduation or course completion?

I have tried contacting IRCC several times with no luck.

Thanks so much!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you have a new acceptance letter you are fine until the end date on your permit and just need to update your dli to new school on myCIC account.

If you don't then your permit will expire 90 days from confirmation of graduation and you need to switch to another status before then.

Reactions: piglett99

piglett99

Aug 14, 2019
If you have a new acceptance letter you are fine until the end date on your permit and just need to update your dli to new school on myCIC account.

If you don't then your permit will expire 90 days from confirmation of graduation and you need to switch to another status before then.
Thank you, I am hoping to speak with admissions to the college tomorrow and arrange something.

So you believe that as long as your intention is to study and you have proof (acceptance letter) you can apply for an extension after the 90days?

Thanks again!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you, I am hoping to speak with admissions to the college tomorrow and arrange something.

So you believe that as long as your intention is to study and you have proof (acceptance letter) you can apply for an extension after the 90days?

Thanks again!
If you have another aceptance letter your permit remains valid until the date on the permit.

Reactions: piglett99