+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa and I want to make a refugee claim (Yemen)

HTQST

Jun 29, 2017
Hi,

I am a yemeni who wants to make a refugee cliam inside Canada, I have been in Canada for about one Year and currently I am renewing my Study Visa, I have already completed the renewal application and all I have is to wait for the response. However, my Father is my main financial supporter, he works as a Doctor in Hodiedah province in Yemen, he had couple of threating interfers with Houthi's fighters, Our financial status is getting worst by time. I forgot to say that my Father had successfully traveled to Jordan with my mom while there's a war and now my Mother is settling down in Jordan while he ran back to Aden and thankfully found a gateway to run away from the killzones between the government and Houthi. In my precpetive I can tell that I wont be able to complete payments for my future education due to income affection.

My questions are;

1- If I claimed and I was denied what will happen next? Will I be able to complete my studies ?

2- Does the renewal process will affect my refugee application ?

Please Don't hesitate sharing your experience, and if u were having a study visa and perfectly got ur refugee claims approved please help me..

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
1. No you would be inadmissible for trying to live in Canada without the proper visa and you would get a departure order.

2. Study permit renewal shouldn't affect refugee application.

My suggestion is finish your studies, make sure you continuously study full time, work part time to help with money and get that PGWP

Reactions: HTQST and maktabi

Inland Refugee

Jun 18, 2017
Hey man,

I was in the same situation last year before applying for refugee last year. I had study permit same as you and countered some financial difficulties but that didn't change the outcome. My advice to you prepare for your case very well and gather as many documents ( photos , reports of your father's situation, proof of your mother's status Jordan, etc..) as you can. Also you can seek some legal aid or consult with an experienced professional lawyer ( not fancy one) and I assure you will get a positive result ISA. By the way, I'm Yemeni and was student as well. On the positive side, if you meet certain criteria, your case will be expedited I believe since Yemen was added to the list ( you can check this link http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/NewsNouv/NewNou/Pages/exp-pol-trait-04052017.aspx ).

Reactions: HTQST

Inland Refugee

Jun 18, 2017
And for you points:
1- Technically you have to sign for a departure order before you hearing but even if your claim got rejected there are so many ways to appeal it you can even go the federal court or apply for humanitarian grounds since Yemen is currently under civil war.
Also, once you claim refugee, your current status which is study permit in your case won't be valid anymore and you will get a new status in Canada ( Refugee Claimant) and after the eligibility interview, the immigration agent will provide you with " Refugee Claimant Document "

2- I don't think so ( Just make sure they might raise a question what has changed since you had the intention to complete your studies and if you can provide some documents to support that point you will be clear)

HTQST

Jun 29, 2017
Hey man,

I was in the same situation last year before applying for refugee last year. I had study permit same as you and countered some financial difficulties but that didn't change the outcome. My advice to you prepare for your case very well and gather as many documents ( photos , reports of your father's situation, proof of your mother's status Jordan, etc..) as you can. Also you can seek some legal aid or consult with an experienced professional lawyer ( not fancy one) and I assure you will get a positive result ISA. By the way, I'm Yemeni and was student as well. On the positive side, if you meet certain criteria, your case will be expedited I believe since Yemen was added to the list ( you can check this link http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/NewsNouv/NewNou/Pages/exp-pol-trait-04052017.aspx ).
Thanks for your involvement

HTQST

Jun 29, 2017
And for you points:
1- Technically you have to sign for a departure order before you hearing but even if your claim got rejected there are so many ways to appeal it you can even go the federal court or apply for humanitarian grounds since Yemen is currently under civil war.
Also, once you claim refugee, your current status which is study permit in your case won't be valid anymore and you will get a new status in Canada ( Refugee Claimant) and after the eligibility interview, the immigration agent will provide you with " Refugee Claimant Document "

2- I don't think so ( Just make sure they might raise a question what has changed since you had the intention to complete your studies and if you can provide some documents to support that point you will be clear)

Thanks for the participation

HTQST

Jun 29, 2017
1. No you would be inadmissible for trying to live in Canada without the proper visa and you would get a departure order.

2. Study permit renewal shouldn't affect refugee application.

My suggestion is finish your studies, make sure you continuously study full time, work part time to help with money and get that PGWP
Thanks for clearing the cons

HTQST

Jun 29, 2017
Hey man,

If I become a Refugee claimant, Can I complete my study? Besides, Can my Mother provide me money? since they are going to take my passport I may face some difficulties in order to get money.

Thanks for being helpful

Inland Refugee

Jun 18, 2017
If I become a Refugee claimant, Can I complete my study? Besides, Can my Mother provide me money? since they are going to take my passport I may face some difficulties in order to get money.

Thanks for being helpful
You can apply for study permit even while waiting for the decision. Sure she can send you money as long as you don't center your case on these financial means ( It is always recommend to build your claim on life threats and risk of prosecution ) make sure you open a bank account so there is no need for other transfers that require your passport.

May 20, 2024
Hey,
I am a Yemeni citizen and i was wondering if you could help me with the refugee claim. My background is almost same as yours. Hoping you could help me . Thank you.