+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit

gwfj

Mar 4, 2022
Hi,

I wanted to get feedback from the community on whether my plan below is feasible;

• I work as a Software Developer and plan to have my wife and child accompany me.
  • I've been accepted for the MDSA program at the University of Calgary (Fall 2022 - 1 Year fulltime).
  • Previously, I had an express entry score of 443 but have since withdrawn this due to no FSW draws.
  • Once I complete my study and receive my transcript I will look for work and simultaneously apply for 1 year PGWP (within the 180 day limit).
  • Once submitted, I will be on Implied Status till the PGWP application results come through.
  • Immediately after submitting my PGWP application, I will also create an express entry profile (my points will go up with the Canadian qualification and we of course need to have fresh IELTS).
  • Using the new EE profile, I will then apply (using AAIP portal) for the Accelerated Tech Pathway Provincial Nomination for Alberta (minimum score of 300).
  • If I'm lucky, then I get an ITA and then subsequently nomination for PR within the Implied Status or PGWP period (if accepted that is)

Is this pathway too risky for PR? Am I missing something important? Is this not a good time for the student -> PR pathway?

Need help.

Thanks

ahabaz92

Apr 17, 2019
Kuwait
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi,

I wanted to get feedback from the community on whether my plan below is feasible;

• I work as a Software Developer and plan to have my wife and child accompany me.
  • I've been accepted for the MDSA program at the University of Calgary (Fall 2022 - 1 Year fulltime).
  • Previously, I had an express entry score of 443 but have since withdrawn this due to no FSW draws.
  • Once I complete my study and receive my transcript I will look for work and simultaneously apply for 1 year PGWP (within the 180 day limit).
  • Once submitted, I will be on Implied Status till the PGWP application results come through.
  • Immediately after submitting my PGWP application, I will also create an express entry profile (my points will go up with the Canadian qualification and we of course need to have fresh IELTS).
  • Using the new EE profile, I will then apply (using AAIP portal) for the Accelerated Tech Pathway Provincial Nomination for Alberta (minimum score of 300).
  • If I'm lucky, then I get an ITA and then subsequently nomination for PR within the Implied Status or PGWP period (if accepted that is)

Is this pathway too risky for PR? Am I missing something important? Is this not a good time for the student -> PR pathway?

Need help.

Thanks
Hello there.

It was great to see your query. Unfortunately, everything in life can't be planned but dealt with as it unfolds.

The most important question is, is your Study Permit Approved yet ? If it did, then go ahead first, land and you''ll surely figure a way out yourself.

I understand it may seem quite kiddish to you but trust me, (if you can) and let somethings unfold with time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Need help.

Thanks
Your plan allows you to risk only having 1 year of PGWP. The big issue is that we don’t know if programs will change and whether draws will end up on hold again like they are now. Canada has a shortage of software engineers so I can’t imagine there won’t be a pathway to PR just may not be your planned route.

gwfj

Mar 4, 2022
Thank you both for the replies.

Yes, things may not go the way we plan due to drastic changes to IRCC and Provincial Nomination programs. Measuring risk is a vital part of the process.

I have also been offered a scholarship for Masters in Data Science - Uni Melbourne, Australia for next year but I prefer going to Canada given the PR prospect. Not sure what others might do in this situation.