+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit without authorization of working off campus

Yuen M

Jan 15, 2018
When I received my study permit, on the remarks, it stated that THIS PERMIT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN OFF CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA. I study for culinary and baking course, I do want to gain some local experience but now it seems that I am not allowed to work. However, I checked with several classmates and they are all allowed to work off campus in their study permits. Is there anything wrong with my application from CIC point of view? If I want to change to study to another school later, will it be difficult for me to get the next study permit?

ceec.ssb64

Mar 13, 2018
I don't think there is anything wrong with your study permit. I am not sure why CIC gives some students the R186 exemption condition, and gives other students the "does not permit" condition. It might be a matter of internal policy.

What I do know is, this statement does not prevent you from applying for a work permit. It is only saying that you do not automatically get R186 off-campus authorization to work. If you want to work off-campus, you can still apply for a work permit separately and I don't think there is necessarily any reason that you would not qualify.

EDIT: IRCC (vaguely) explains the policy here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2015-02-02-2.html

Helipatel42

Apr 28, 2018
When I received my study permit, on the remarks, it stated that THIS PERMIT DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE HOLDER TO ENGAGE IN OFF CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA. I study for culinary and baking course, I do want to gain some local experience but now it seems that I am not allowed to work. However, I checked with several classmates and they are all allowed to work off campus in their study permits. Is there anything wrong with my application from CIC point of view? If I want to change to study to another school later, will it be difficult for me to get the next study permit?
Hey hi.. did you get the problem solved? I am facing the same problem. What did you do? Can you please help me?

prudence101

Jun 9, 2018
What if you have the following text printed in your study permit below and there after graduate and apply for a PGWP. Are you allowed to accept full-time employment while waiting for your PGWP
  • This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
What if you have the following text printed in your study permit below and there after graduate and apply for a PGWP. Are you allowed to accept full-time employment while waiting for your PGWP
  • This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada.

I have the same problem , what was your course ?
Did you only get that condition ? What about other students studying with you ?

beebietbay

Jun 14, 2018
I got the same problem but only after I renew my study permit. When I first entered Canada I got my study permit which allowed me to work off campus. The new one does not thou.

I am so worrying now as I am having an off campus part-time job. Anyone please advise if you know a way. Thank you very much.

biks

Oct 1, 2018
hey can you tell me if we are able to work or not ? and did you get your PGWP ? I had same issues when i extended my permit. But i applied my work permit before the expiration of old study permit which allowed me to work off campus.

Bbecks

Jan 10, 2019
has anyone able to get it resolved?
is there any helpdesk or email where i can escalate this issue?