+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit within Canada - Some help needed please!

ldzumbado

Jan 20, 2021
Hi everyone,

I entered Canada with my girlfriend in February 2020. We both had an open work permit from the IEC; she activated hers but I did not since I had planned a short trip to my home country a few weeks later. All my plans got canceled due to COVID19 and I was not able to activate my work permit since borders were closed.
Then the following happened:

May 2020: received the acceptance letter from the university for the PhD program I applied, starting September 2020. However, I was not able to apply for a study permit from inside Canada as a visitor.

June 27, 2020: The POE letter for my IEC work permit expired (never received an extension after a number of Webforms were sent).

July 6, 2020: Submitted Visitor Record application to extend visitor status (I have not received any notification).

August 22, 2020: I was able to apply for my SP from inside Canada as a visitor (however, I had to defer my studies for the 2021 Winter Term later, since I did not receive the SP on time).

October 1, 2020: Received AIP for my SP.

November 23, 2020: Received a letter from IRCC stating my documents have been received and my application was being processed.

November 25, 2020: Received a letter from IRCC stating my biometrics are valid.

November 25, 2020: Received a letter from IRCC requesting my passport and stating a decision has been made on my application.

November 26, 2020: I sent my passport to IRCC.

December 4, 2020: I received the LOI stating my SP has been approved.

December 9, 2020: I received my passport back with no visa and a letter stating:

“The passport you have submitted to our CPC-Ottawa Office is being returned to you without a visa affixed since you are from a visa exempt country. In fact, Citizens from Spain do not require a visa in order to travel to Canada.

Please note that the file you sent in reference XXX is that of your study permit which our office is not in charge of. You need to contact the CPC Edmonton Office where you applied for further instructions.”

This is unbelievable since they requested my passport. Also, the address I sent it was taken from the link they include in the passport request and I even contacted the IRCC call center to confirm that was the correct address.

December 9, 2020: I sent a Webform to ask for my SP to be issued within Canada by mail.

January 12, 2020: I had not received my SP. I called IRCC to ask about it. Initially, they told me the SP was already sent in December, but then I discovered they were confused with the delivery of my Passport in return. They indicated the situation was corrected and the SP should be sent in the following days.

January 20, 2021: I have not received my SP yet.

Does someone know how long does it take to receive the SP by mail inside Canada after sending the Webform request? Is there any other option to get the study permit issued right now?

This has been a very long wait since I applied for the SP, and I am almost being forced to defer for a second time. I have made a large number of calls during the last year to ask about my applications but the answers are never satisfactory and some times even contradictory. The IRCC seems to be unable to solve any inquiry/application I have made. I would appreciate any help with this frustrating situation I am into.

Thanks in advance.

mohmedsajid

Jan 8, 2016
Hi,

Did you receive your study permit? How long did it take?

I requested for the same on 29th January 2021 but till date I did not receive it. I did call IRCC several times but they didn't say much, they said just have to wait. I defer my program from Jan to May intake. If it won't come in two weeks again I have to defer.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I requested for the same on 29th January 2021 but till date I did not receive it. I did call IRCC several times but they didn't say much, they said just have to wait. I defer my program from Jan to May intake. If it won't come in two weeks again I have to defer.

Thank you
Where are you from because processing can take many months. Calling IRCC doesn’t help as they can’t move your file along.

mohmedsajid

Jan 8, 2016
Where are you from because processing can take many months. Calling IRCC doesn’t help as they can’t move your file along.
I am from India, I am currently in Canada on a Visitor Visa and requested for issuance of study permit with my port of entry letter. I did contact IRCC through web form and call center but no help. They just said you have to wait. They put a note on 26th March to speedup the process but till yesterday did not receive any reply as per the call center agent

ldzumbado

Jan 20, 2021
Hi,

Thank you
Hi,
I received my permit in middle April. It took more than 4 months since I sent the Webform to request the permit.
I hope yours arrive faster.

Best.