+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit with spouse as PR

rmsb0079

Feb 9, 2017
Hi,

I currently hold a PR and my wife is looking to come to Canada as a student. She got her admission before our marriage and is now looking to apply for a study permit.

Will there be any complications in her getting the study permit due to this as she will have to declare me as a relative living in Canada?

Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks a lot in advance

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you are a PR and married you would have to go for spousal sponsorship from what I understand. How long have you had PR and been in Canada?

rmsb0079

Feb 9, 2017
If you are a PR and married you would have to go for spousal sponsorship from what I understand. How long have you had PR and been in Canada?
I have been in Canada for a year now.

Also I am planning to start her dependant PR process once she is here.

Thanks

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Others can comment, but I think now that you are married you HAVE to go for sponsorship. The question is, were you married when you made the PR application?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
No, I got married almost a year after I got my PR.
I was just checking, as if you were married when you made your application, you could ever sponsor her. Apply to sponsor her and apply for an open work permit at the same time. It takes about 4 months to get it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Reactions: rmsb0079

rmsb0079

Feb 9, 2017
I was just checking, as if you were married when you made your application, you could ever sponsor her. Apply to sponsor her and apply for an open work permit at the same time. It takes about 4 months to get it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html
Oh thanks. I don’t think we will be able to apply for the work permit as she is out of the country. Moreover my primary concern now is with the study permit as she had planned this before the marriage.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh thanks. I don’t think we will be able to apply for the work permit as she is out of the country. Moreover my primary concern now is with the study permit as she had planned this before the marriage.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
No you can't apply for an OWP with outland sponsorship. Yes your marriage could have an effect on her study permit. You'll have to see.

Reactions: rmsb0079