jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Asking for my sister in-law. She has a valid visitor visa, and now wants to study here. She has an accepted offer. Of course she needs to apply for a study permit. But does she need a new (student) visa? or the visitor visa is good enough?

demme343

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2012
Hello all,

Asking for my sister in-law. She has a valid visitor visa, and now wants to study here. She has an accepted offer. Of course she needs to apply for a study permit. But does she need a new (student) visa? or the visitor visa is good enough?
yes she will need to apply for study permit and i think betyer to consult some seniors also and study the IRCC website thouroly

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello all,

Yes you will need a new visa

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you will need a new visa
Are you sure? I know a friend of mine that just applied for study permit, but she was already in Canada.
Also my wife applied for work permit, but she was also in Canada.

Is anyone aware of good link on IRCC website that explains this?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
The Visa/TRV/thing in your passport remains the same doesnt matter if it says visitor or student on it, this is only needed to travel to Canada and does not need to remain valid while you are here.

To legally study a course longer than 6 months you need to apply for study permit.

Reactions: jickson

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Visa/TRV/thing in your passport remains the same doesnt matter if it says visitor or student on it, this is only needed to travel to Canada and does not need to remain valid while you are here.

To legally study a course longer than 6 months you need to apply for study permit.
Thank you. This makes sense to me.

Space33

Jun 15, 2019
You also must submit the application for a study permit outside of Canada. Most send it to the US.
Hi Canuck78, how do you send a visa application outside of Canada if you are applying online? Did you mean to apply on paper?

GMP97

Jun 25, 2019
Pakistan, Karachi
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
22-11-2019
Passport Req..
19-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23/12/2019
LANDED..........
25/12/2019
Hi Canuck78, how do you send a visa application outside of Canada if you are applying online? Did you mean to apply on paper?
There is a field there on the online applying from- you should choose outside Canada meaning the country you are applying from

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Hello all,

Hello,

So if the course duration is less than 6 months, she doesn't need an additional study permit. You can check the following link- Official IRCC Webpage

Cheers,
Sam

Reactions: Wh1teH0rsE

rijol verma

Jul 10, 2020

wrong. my friend has both. visitor is a 'V' visa and student is a 'sx' visa. both have different counterfoil

Tarora

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
Hello all,

Hi bro i am also on a same stage i have a visit visa and applied for study on 21st September and waiting for an update ...

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
wrong. my friend has both. visitor is a 'V' visa and student is a 'sx' visa. both have different counterfoil
He didnt need to apply for the second one, the mark is irrelevant. Visa only allows travel to canada, status is granted at the border accordingly.

rijol verma

Jul 10, 2020
He didnt need to apply for the second one, the mark is irrelevant. Visa only allows travel to canada, status is granted at the border accordingly.
it is not optional bongoman. IRCC says submit your passport you have to submit your passport. and ircc puts the other TRV too. so if you get a passport request you advice not to submit?