+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit to work permit?

kemerloo

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Hi, I am currently under study permit but haven't started my classes yet and haven't enrolled yet. If ever I can find a job that can offer me a LMIA and later on a work permit, can I not study and work instead? Thank you so much.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

kemerloo said:
Hi, I am currently under study permit but haven't started my classes yet and haven't enrolled yet. If ever I can find a job that can offer me a LMIA and later on a work permit, can I not study and work instead? Thank you so much.

1. Yes, you can. I would be curious to know what job will fetch you a LMIA when rest are struggling.
2. A positive LMIA doesn't mean a guaranteed work permit.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
You have to be actively in a course for your study permit to be valid.

From my understanding, you can't have a work permit under LMIA and a study permit at the same time. As a student you are not allowed to work full time on your study permit and you can't study full time on your work permit.

You have to make a choice here.

kndrd1903

Nov 26, 2015
You can work for a company on a part-time basis and, the offer that you can make to the company is to assess your performance and then provide you with an LMIA after you are done with the studies.

While on a study permit, you are eligible to work but you are not eligible for LMIA.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
kndrd1903 said:
You can work for a company on a part-time basis and, the offer that you can make to the company is to assess your performance and then provide you with an LMIA after you are done with the studies.

While on a study permit, you are eligible to work but you are not eligible for LMIA.
Only if you are enrolled, actively studying and in good standing in with your school. You CAN NOT work until you start your classes.