+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit (Ties to the Home Country)

hilda89

Feb 14, 2018
I have a Bachelor's degree in Information Technology Management from Malaysia, and 5yrs work experience in Malaysia, and I currently work as a technology consultant in Malaysia. I got admission for a graduate certificate program (information technology infrastructure) in Canada.

My question:
  • I was offered a job immediately after graduation, and my proof of funds is in a Malaysian bank account, not in Nigeria bank account. Would this affect the my home ties in the application as I have been in Malaysia for over 10yrs?
  • I have an express entry profile, would this affect my application?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
- Show ties and career progression to your home country (Nigeria)
- You can have an EE profile at the same time, no issues.

hilda89

Feb 14, 2018
- Show ties and career progression to your home country (Nigeria)
- You can have an EE profile at the same time, no issues.
Hi @Naturgrl, thank you for your response.

I would need you to elaborate on "Show ties and career progression to your home country (Nigeria)" I can show family ties as all my immediate family members are in Nigeria. However, when you say "career progression" do you mean job opportunities in my country?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi @Naturgrl, thank you for your response.

I would need you to elaborate on "Show ties and career progression to your home country (Nigeria)" I can show family ties as all my immediate family members are in Nigeria. However, when you say "career progression" do you mean job opportunities in my country?
You need to show how your program will help your career (advancement) in your home country and why you need to come to Canada to take the program. So you have an IT degree, and how will an IT diploma help your career in Nigeria.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What is your status in Malaysia? if it's temporary residence then you might have a problem, unless you can show solid establishment there (besides a healthy bank account). Also, being a Nigerian will not stand you in good stead - they know we don't want to return home ).

You basically need to convince the VO that you will return to Nigeria after your studies (not Malaysia, unless you have permanent residency there). How you do that is by showing that you can take employment back home and also that you have properties (yours or your family) to go back to.

How are you intending to pay for your program? Are you self-funding? How much do you have in your account to show as PoF?

hilda89

Feb 14, 2018
You need to show how your program will help your career (advancement) in your home country and why you need to come to Canada to take the program. So you have an IT degree, and how will an IT diploma help your career in Nigeria.
Thank you for this information, I can do that

hilda89

Feb 14, 2018
What is your status in Malaysia? if it's temporary residence then you might have a problem, unless you can show solid establishment there (besides a healthy bank account). Also, being a Nigerian will not stand you in good stead - they know we don't want to return home ).

You basically need to convince the VO that you will return to Nigeria after your studies (not Malaysia, unless you have permanent residency there). How you do that is by showing that you can take employment back home and also that you have properties (yours or your family) to go back to.

How are you intending to pay for your program? Are you self-funding? How much do you have in your account to show as PoF?
@wonderbly
I am currently on a work permit in Malaysia, I have a friend that is starting up an IT firm who is offering me a job also my family has properties back home. I intend to pay for my program myself, the fee is $14500, I have $25000 to show as PoF