+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Sudden Police Certificate Requirement

Alberta323

May 6, 2021
Hello,

Applied from U.S. as F-1 student end of March, biometrics enrolled within 3 days. On May 5th received unexpected request to upload police certificates from each state of the U.S. I've stayed for more than 6 months. The request must be met with 30 days as stated by June 5th.

While I have a dismissed charge from 2013 on my record, the details of it has been consistently and completely explained by the FBI identity history, court-order case dismissal and USCIS F-1 reinstatement.

I do not understand why they were so suspicious as even a minor infringement of the law in the U.S. automatically involves ICE and removal proceedings. As a consequence, the very fact I'm in-status speaks volume.
I understand the VO has every right to ask for extra documents at his/her discretion, but why not spell out such details on the criminal background history section of the IRCC?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html
Notice how it only says FBI identity history? There's not a single mention of documents from each and every state of residence.

I understand I can write explanation certified by an attorney that I made best effort in obtaining the certificates with receipts and tracking No. etc. But what are the real chance of me being granted the study permit? (The PCC from New York state says it takes about 30 days.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Applied from U.S. as F-1 student end of March, biometrics enrolled within 3 days. On May 5th received unexpected request to upload police certificates from each state of the U.S. I've stayed for more than 6 months. The request must be met with 30 days as stated by June 5th.

While I have a dismissed charge from 2013 on my record, the details of it has been consistently and completely explained by the FBI identity history, court-order case dismissal and USCIS F-1 reinstatement.

I do not understand why they were so suspicious as even a minor infringement of the law in the U.S. automatically involves ICE and removal proceedings. As a consequence, the very fact I'm in-status speaks volume.
I understand the VO has every right to ask for extra documents at his/her discretion, but why not spell out such details on the criminal background history section of the IRCC?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html
Notice how it only says FBI identity history? There's not a single mention of documents from each and every state of residence.

I understand I can write explanation certified by an attorney that I made best effort in obtaining the certificates with receipts and tracking No. etc. But what are the real chance of me being granted the study permit? (The PCC from New York state says it takes about 30 days.)
Short answer is that the link you provided only mentions the FBI cert since this is the only one that is mandatory. State certs are rarely requested. The best path for you to get approved is to provide the state cert(s) requested. If you need longer than the 30 days to get the state certs, notify IRCC. Good luck.

Alberta323

May 6, 2021
By notifying IRCC, you mean in case of due date approaching I should submit the request for extra time together with the best effort affidavit form attorney?

Thank you for replying.

Alberta323

May 6, 2021
Short answer is that the link you provided only mentions the FBI cert since this is the only one that is mandatory. State certs are rarely requested. The best path for you to get approved is to provide the state cert(s) requested. If you need longer than the 30 days to get the state certs, notify IRCC. Good luck.
I think the long answer is the Canadian government uses extreme bureaucracy to 'lose' someone in the system who they don't want to let in but cannot outright reject conveniently.

Let me respectfully show you what happened during my study permit application this summer 2021 from March till end of August:

- March 22nd, submission. I honestly declared arrest in 2013. Was asked to give FBI background check. Which indeed showed case dismissal.
- March 23rd, request for biometrics collection letter. I bought a $500 ticket to seattle on March 25 from South Dakota. Order fullfilled.
- May 5th, request letter asking for every police certifcates from states stayed for more than 6 month.
- June 3, after spending $1000+ hiring attorney for the process and submitted effort to obtain which included photo-copies of ALL my I-20s to show valid status.
- June 18, given extension. Suddenly the IRCC does NOT want any police certificate but the one from the state I was arrested in.
- July 21, given extension as I have received all other police certifcates but that one.
- July 28, order fullfilled with court record.
- August 17, no more criminality inquiry. IRCC asks me to show valid status in the U.S. despite the fact all I-20 photocopies have been uploaded. In particular my A-number would show from public record I have no deportation case ever pending against me. Ironically this request is due Aug. 27th as my airplane to leave the U.S. after grad school is on the 26th.

Keep in mind all my police certifcates show no-trace. Even in the private prison industry in the U.S. my record was expunged by the government NOT per my request.
At this moment, I no longer wish to have any future interaction with the Canadian government and its immigration system. I was abused in the U.S. as the book and record I would publish will show. And having lived through various victimizing situations I have a strong inkling the Canadians are just as abusive in their immigration practices as in the U.S. At the end of day, they just want someone proven docile enough to spend money or be a slave.
Jump to conclusion? Not so much, not after spending 9 years in the U.S. as an F-1 student and teaching assistant for the last 3.

Gabrielmanga

May 4, 2022
I think the long answer is the Canadian government uses extreme bureaucracy to 'lose' someone in the system who they don't want to let in but cannot outright reject conveniently.

Let me respectfully show you what happened during my study permit application this summer 2021 from March till end of August:

- March 22nd, submission. I honestly declared arrest in 2013. Was asked to give FBI background check. Which indeed showed case dismissal.
- March 23rd, request for biometrics collection letter. I bought a $500 ticket to seattle on March 25 from South Dakota. Order fullfilled.
- May 5th, request letter asking for every police certifcates from states stayed for more than 6 month.
- June 3, after spending $1000+ hiring attorney for the process and submitted effort to obtain which included photo-copies of ALL my I-20s to show valid status.
- June 18, given extension. Suddenly the IRCC does NOT want any police certificate but the one from the state I was arrested in.
- July 21, given extension as I have received all other police certifcates but that one.
- July 28, order fullfilled with court record.
- August 17, no more criminality inquiry. IRCC asks me to show valid status in the U.S. despite the fact all I-20 photocopies have been uploaded. In particular my A-number would show from public record I have no deportation case ever pending against me. Ironically this request is due Aug. 27th as my airplane to leave the U.S. after grad school is on the 26th.

Keep in mind all my police certifcates show no-trace. Even in the private prison industry in the U.S. my record was expunged by the government NOT per my request.
At this moment, I no longer wish to have any future interaction with the Canadian government and its immigration system. I was abused in the U.S. as the book and record I would publish will show. And having lived through various victimizing situations I have a strong inkling the Canadians are just as abusive in their immigration practices as in the U.S. At the end of day, they just want someone proven docile enough to spend money or be a slave.
Jump to conclusion? Not so much, not after spending 9 years in the U.S. as an F-1 student and teaching assistant for the last 3.
Any update bro, did you get the study permit ?