+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit September intake was refused

3abadi

May 6, 2018
Dear All,

I request a help from an experienced member to assist me in deciding whether to reapply again for a study permit after it has been refused today and how to address the visa officer concerns.

The reasons they mentioned for the refusal are :
1- Subsection 216 (1) of IRPR , based on my immigration status.
2- Subsection 216 (1) of IRPR, the length of my proposed stay in Canada .
3- Subsection 216 (1) of IRPR, based on the purpose of my visit .
4- I am not satisfied that you are an intending immigrant .

My profile is as follows :
I live and work in Dubai UAE and i applied for a pre master program in linguistics at the university of manitoba and I was accepted with no conditions .
I hold a bachelor in information systems but I have been working as a translator for more than 7 years after graduation . My company is translation service provider and i have submitted a proof of their sponsorship of my studies . Moreover , i explained in the SOP the reason why I needs to take this particular course to bridge the gap between my previous studies and my experience and that I can not be admitted directly to the master program without completing the pre master course and the university of manitoba is the only university that provides a pre master program in linguistics in Canada .
Any advice please ?

Highly appreciated .

Liquid_231

Star Member
May 9, 2018
Hi there,

Mostly, its not cos of your SOp or documentation but the reason being that they receive more visa applications than the number they required at a specific time T and will unfortunately have to refuse some. I stand corrcted though!

But one thing for sure, I know they usually raise brows to instance where a student studied say Marketing and now wants to study masters in visual arts. You will have to support your SOP with vivid and strong reasons to support your intention. For instance, why you are changing course, what it will do for you, the opportunities it will bring and if there is any link at all to the former course you took and the new one, throw more lights on it. It could help, I guess!

Also you could present your documentations with an affidavit.

Nothing should stop you from reapplying, dont give up if thats what your vision and dreams lie. I have friends who applied twice and later got their visa.

Cheers!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All,

I request a help from an experienced member to assist me in deciding whether to reapply again for a study permit after it has been refused today and how to address the visa officer concerns.

The reasons they mentioned for the refusal are :
1- Subsection 216 (1) of IRPR , based on my immigration status.
2- Subsection 216 (1) of IRPR, the length of my proposed stay in Canada .
3- Subsection 216 (1) of IRPR, based on the purpose of my visit .
4- I am not satisfied that you are an intending immigrant .

My profile is as follows :
I live and work in Dubai UAE and i applied for a pre master program in linguistics at the university of manitoba and I was accepted with no conditions .
I hold a bachelor in information systems but I have been working as a translator for more than 7 years after graduation . My company is translation service provider and i have submitted a proof of their sponsorship of my studies . Moreover , i explained in the SOP the reason why I needs to take this particular course to bridge the gap between my previous studies and my experience and that I can not be admitted directly to the master program without completing the pre master course and the university of manitoba is the only university that provides a pre master program in linguistics in Canada .
Any advice please ?

Highly appreciated .
What did you say in your SOP to explain why you want to take linguistics? The fact you are a translator doesn't explain why you want to take linguistics. Linguistics is a theoretical study of the structure of language and at the Masters/PhD level typically focuses on rare languages. It would make a lot more sense if you were planning on taking a Masters in Translation. Just my two cents...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What did you say in your SOP to explain why you want to take linguistics? The fact you are a translator doesn't explain why you want to take linguistics. Linguistics is a theoretical study of the structure of language and at the Masters/PhD level typically focuses on rare languages. It would make a lot more sense if you were planning on taking a Masters in Translation. Just my two cents...
Agree you are confusing linguistics and translation. You have applied for the wrong degree. Given you are already a successful translator I think there is also some confusion about how another degree would advance your career.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agree you are confusing linguistics and translation. You have applied for the wrong degree. Given you are already a successful translator I think there is also some confusion about how another degree would advance your career.
Yes - totally agree.

My uncle held a PhD in linguistics and was a tenured linguistics professor at UofT for years. He would often tell me stories about students who joined the program thinking it would help them with language fluency, translation, etc. - when in fact linguistics really has nothing to do with that.