+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Russian Applicants

Pomo30

Aug 30, 2022
Are there any Russian Applicants (who used their Russian passport to apply for a study permit) who have received any decision (Refusal or Approval) for September 2022 or January 2023 intakes? From which country did you apply? How long did it take to receive a decision? Are there any of you, who are still waiting? How long has it been? Share your experience so far.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Are there any Russian Applicants (who used their Russian passport to apply for a study permit) who have received any decision (Refusal or Approval) for September 2022 or January 2023 intakes? From which country did you apply? How long did it take to receive a decision? Are there any of you, who are still waiting? How long has it been? Share your experience so far.
Just out of curiosity, did you apply from Russia or from another country? Your timeline has to be one of the longest I've seen without a decision.

Pomo30

Aug 30, 2022
Just out of curiosity, did you apply from Russia or from another country? Your timeline has to be one of the longest I've seen without a decision.
I applied from Brazil, non-SDS. I was eligible for SDS, as a permanent resident of Brazil, who resides in Brazil, but there were some documents I couldn't obtain in time. And now I even think that it wouldn't make any difference.

Last edited:

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I applied from Brazil, non-SDS. I was eligible for SDS, as I am a permanent resident of Brazil, who resides in Brazil, but there were some documents I couldn't obtain in time. And now I even think it wouldn't make such a difference.
Agree, it wouldn't probably matter... I know Brazil has its own VAC so you should submit a webform and contact them via email arguing that your application has exceeded the normal processing times. Good luck!

Pomo30

Aug 30, 2022
Agree, it wouldn't probably matter... I know Brazil has its own VAC so you should submit a webform and contact them via email arguing that your application has exceeded the normal processing times. Good luck!
I have done it already :) Keep sending webforms (to Brazil and Canada), sent an email and they told me to send a webform. Tried to call VAC in São Paulo, and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience (no representative, leave a voice mail -> mailbox is full, we transfer you to a representative-> no representative, leave a voice mail...), and like this for 10 minutes. I am waiting for the notes to see if anyone even touched my application.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I have done it already :) Keep sending webforms (to Brazil and Canada), sent an email and they told me to send a webform. Tried to call VAC in São Paulo, and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience (no representative, leave a voice mail -> mailbox is full, we transfer you to a representative-> no representative, leave a voice mail...), and like this for 10 minutes. I am waiting for the notes to see if anyone even touched my application.
When my wife submitted her application, we also tried to contact people that had applied from South America but we only came up with people applying from Colombia. It seems either there is very few people applying from this part of the world or they don't read/post in these forums.

Pomo30

Aug 30, 2022
When my wife submitted her application, we also tried to contact people that had applied from South America but we only came up with people applying from Colombia. It seems either there are very few people applying from this part of the world or they don't read/post in these forums.
There are a lot of Brazilian students in Canada, but most of them apply through SDS, and indeed, it doesn't seem like they read this forum. I have also been checking some Brazilian Facebook groups, and people have been receiving their visas just fine. And some of the applicants move with their entire families (children, spouses). Just wanted to see if there are any Russians here, who faced similar challenges, even if they didn't apply from Russia. Why was your first application refused?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
There are a lot of Brazilian students in Canada, but most of them apply through SDS, and indeed, it doesn't seem like they read this forum. I have also been checking some Brazilian Facebook groups, and people have been receiving their visas just fine. And some of the applicants move with their entire families (children, spouses). Just wanted to see if there are any Russians here, who faced similar challenges, even if they didn't apply from Russia. Why was your first application refused?
It was refused on two grounds, basically ties to home country and funds. But honestly, when we received the GCMS notes we found that the comments from the VO were very generic and filled with mistakes or misinterpretations of the information we had submitted. It had incorrect dates and facts, comments that were completely unfounded, etc. We started the second application addressing each of these arguments and submitting evidence of why they were wrong... I guess that helped.

Pomo30

Aug 30, 2022
It was refused on two grounds, basically ties to home country and funds. But honestly, when we received the GCMS notes we found that the comments from the VO were very generic and filled with mistakes or misinterpretations of the information we had submitted. It had incorrect dates and facts, comments that were completely unfounded, etc. We started the second application addressing each of these arguments and submitting evidence of why they were wrong... I guess that helped.
I am happy that at least it is all over, and your visas got approved.

Reactions: Geet7