+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Rejected (URGENT advice required)

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
I would be grateful if someone who is familiar with the CIC requirements to advise me on what to do next.

I have recently submitted my application for a study permit (online) for a Post-Graduate Certificate in International Business on the 3 October but received my refusal letter this afternoon. I am a Malaysian with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons).

They gave the following reasons in the refusal letter:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
purpose of visit
your current employment situation
your personal assets and financial status

Based on the application I have submitted, I am currently unemployed as I just newly graduated from my previous university around 20 August 2014.

As for my personal assets and financial status, I do not own any immovable assets as I am a fresh graduate. As a matter of facts, I did provide my parents' bank statements and proof of them already transferring about 20,000 CAD dollars to my account as living expenses for me. Besides, I have already paid my tuition fee in Canada in FULL which is about 15,000 CAD, which should convince them about my purpose of visit- to study.

The only refusal reason I could think of is that I have been previously refused a TRV as a tourist/visiting around February this year. I was intending to visit my boyfriend who was studying in Canada. The previous refusal or the fact that my boyfriend is there might have caused the officer to be bias against my application? I really have no idea. But then again, there is no prohibition against couple studying in Canada together!! I could not study in Canada then because I was yet to complete my Bachelor degree!

In conclusion, I am really lost and am not sure what to do next. Should I reapply and submit a letter explaining or clearing their doubts on my purpose of visit and etc OR should I just forget about studying in Canada ever due to the bad record (TRV refusal)? Is there anyone who had similar experience prior to this? Thanks !

Dafe

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Can't send u a message to ur inbox, it's full
Anyways
Ok that's fine. U nid to reapply as soon as possible I will guide u on how to attend to those refusals note. My letter of explanation was fabulous that's if u can follow my steps. However how old are u? Do u av any gap in ur studies? Like maybe a year or 2?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If I was a CIC officer I wouldn't understand why you are taking a PGD in international business after completing an undergraduate degree in law. The two don't seem to be related.

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
After working at a law firm, I decided that I no longer want to practise as a lawyer. Now, aiming to be a Chartered Secretary. Completing my ICSA (Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators) by December 2014 and aiming to start the International Business by Jan 2015.

More interested to work in the corporate world right now. But need a second degree/post-grad to complement my law degree and ICSA.
Got exemptions for ICSA so am actually still not that strong on the business side. Written those in my cover letter for the application already.

nnhenry

Oct 30, 2014
Melissa, I'm from Malaysia myself, and I received a similar rejection letter yesterday from CIC. Seems like the Canadians are not too keen on giving Malaysians visas :) My reason for rejection may have been because I did my undergraduate degree in Canada several years ago, but overstayed for a few months to complete a course I failed.

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
That's what I am beginning to think. I contacted a local agent and he told me not to waste my money and effort on Canada. He said they are not too keen on giving us (Malaysians) visa. He recommended me to try Australia instead. Said they have near perfect succession rate for that. But still, I am not ready to give up now. Giving it another try.

Funny enough, their reasons of refusal just amazed me. I have seen people with higher chances of not returning to their country upon completion getting their visa approved.

Probably it's my mistake for applying for the TRV to visit my bf in February when I had a long school break. Should have just waited and apply for the study permit instead. Or rather, my mistake for being honest about visiting my bf in Canada :( Saw that some ppl actually asked their friends to write the letter of invitation for their gf or fiancé so as to avoid refusal, and actually got the TRV approval.

Am just really depressed right now as there doesn't seem to be a way out for me :(

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
Yup I did! Explained in my LOE that after having worked in a law firm for close to two years, I realised that my real interest is to work in the Corporate world. Even attached the letter from ICSA stating that I am currently undertaking their program and going to sit for their exam in December.

Even explained to them that I resigned from my previous job (with encouragement and financial support of parents) as to fully prepare for the 6 final papers for the ICSA (I got exemptions so I only need to complete the 6 papers in order to get the ICSA qualification). We all think it is best to quickly finish off the 6 papers before commencing the International Business in January.

Also explained that International Business is relevant because I need it to complement my Law degree and ICSA. I am intending to work as a Corporate Secretary in a multinational company. Thus, it is relevant for me to ensure that I have the sufficient business background.

Do you think it's really because of my bf who is already studying in Canada? What can I do to clear their doubt about that?

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
Is there really no hope in getting a study permit once CIC is aware that you have a boyfriend who is in Canada as a student?

Can someone please help? Thanks!

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
I have decided to order for the CAIPS notes to access how bad the damages are.

However, I would like to find out if the application of CAIPS notes online will cover all the previous refusals or only the latest one?

Do I need to make a separate CAIPS application for each refusal or I will be given the CAIPS for all the refusals (with my UCI No.)?

Apr 29, 2014
The Caips you apply for will have every thought the visa officer made throughout his entire assessment. What country are you coming from? Did you seek some professional guidance?

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
Thx for ur reply!

I'm in Malaysia. Apparently, Canada is not a popular option for Malaysians to study abroad, we most likely go to UK or Aussie. Thus, not much agents.

The only one I found said I should stop wasting time and money on Canada. The embassy in Singapore is not keen to give Malaysians visa. He recommended Australia instead.

My boyfriend tried contacting some immigration consultants in Canada, some found the refusals to be unreasonable but we are both reluctant to start an appeal because it is gonna take forever and upon winning the appeal, application will merely be ordered to be re-determined by another VO, no 100% guarantee on approval still :(

Things look really bad right now.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
melissa88 said:
Is there really no hope in getting a study permit once CIC is aware that you have a boyfriend who is in Canada as a student?

Can someone please help? Thanks!
is ur boyfriend canadian citizen or permanent resident,, if yes then of course chances are really very slim that u will get study permit,,

melissa88

Oct 24, 2014
Thx for ur reply!

My boyfriend is a student. He has been in studying in Canada for close to a year now. We had previously applied for a TRV to visit him but was also refused. That's a wrong move as that was how they got to know I have a bf there! Regret but can't do anything about it for now :(