+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refusal. Pls advise.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

I was refused a study permit based on immigration status, and purpose of visit.

My profile:

I am Nigerian studying in Malaysia. I lived with my spouse in Malaysia (Nigerian) and she is currently on her PhD degree while I am back to my home country (Nigeria) after completing my MSc degree last year. Previously my application for a study permit was submitted in Malaysia. Now, I am currently looking forward to reapply in Nigeria but I have some worries and will be needing your opinion to help prepare my application properly.

My concerns are considering that my wife is still on her PhD in Malaysia and not in my home country with me. In my previous application, I listed her name, occupation (PhD research student) and address on the Family information section of the form and stated our residential address in Malaysia which shows we reside in Malaysia.

Based on the above, will her present location (Malaysia) affect my study permit application considering the fact that she is my strong tie. Although we have no kids yet but I have properties (landed) in my home country.

How do I reconcile this correctly to satisfy that I will leave Canada at the end of my stay.

I will appreciate your candid advise and support.

Thank you

Chidiebere

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Kindly provide your timeline.

1) When did you apply?
2) Online or paper?
3) When did you receive your decision?
4) Which was the processing office (this can be found at the bottom of the refusal letter)?

temp11

Feb 18, 2020
1. October 9, 2019
2. Online
3. October 24, 2019
4. Singapore

Thanks
Sorry to hear that! I think you need to show ties to your home country Nigeria. You shouldn't have applied using Malaysia as your residential address. I would suggest getting documents, properties showing ties to Nigeria and then re-applying. It would assure them at the end of your stay, you will go back to your home country and not over-stay

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
Thanks for your kind response. I understand your point. I did that because then I was living in Malaysia with my wife. Sure, I do have landed properties in Nigeria for both personal and commercial use which I also provided during my application. My major concern is my wife. She isn't in my home country but in Malaysia on her PhD degree. Will that affect my application if I reapply from my home country since she is also considered as my tie but not in Nigeria at the moment. I will appreciate your feedback

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks for your kind response. I understand your point. I did that because then I was living in Malaysia with my wife. Sure, I do have landed properties in Nigeria for both personal and commercial use which I also provided during my application. My major concern is my wife. She isn't in my home country but in Malaysia on her PhD degree. Will that affect my application if I reapply from my home country since she is also considered as my tie but not in Nigeria at the moment. I will appreciate your feedback
Yes, of course it will affect your application. Will that mean outright refusal, no but I am sure it contributes as a piece of evidence as a weak tie to your home country. Can you still get the visa? Of course, if other areas of your applications are strong including your SOP. Should you apply now? That is up to you if you want to take the risk or wait for your spouse to finish her phD

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
Thank you for your advise. I will want to apply again while making sure other areas are strong enough. I will like to further inquire, should I respond to the refusal reason inside my SOP as one piece of writeups? or should it be a separate pieces ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be really apply for a PhD. The fact that you have studied abroad and you wife is still studying abroad doesn’t lead to a lot of reassurances that you plan to return to Nigeria. Think the number one issue is the fact that you are applying for advanced college degree after a masters degree.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
I understand your point. I applied for an advanced college degree because I had applied to 7 Universities in Canada for Postgraduate degree (MEng and PhD) but wasn't offered admission. Only 1 of the University offered to admit me for an MASc program in Energy Systems Engineering if I wish to be considered. My concern on this remains that, does it make sense accepting the above program after completing a Master degree (MSc in Electronic Engineering); hence, having 2 Master degree? I am still working so hard to achieve a PhD admission and I am hopeful to get one. I will appreciate your candid advise. Chidiebere

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand your point. I applied for an advanced college degree because I had applied to 7 Universities in Canada for Postgraduate degree (MEng and PhD) but wasn't offered admission. Only 1 of the University offered to admit me for an MASc program in Energy Systems Engineering if I wish to be considered. My concern on this remains that, does it make sense accepting the above program after completing a Master degree (MSc in Electronic Engineering); hence, having 2 Master degree? I am still working so hard to achieve a PhD admission and I am hopeful to get one. I will appreciate your candid advise. Chidiebere
If you weren’t trying to immigrate you wouldn‘t have applied for the college courses which is why you won’t be considered a genuine student.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions as I plan to reapply for study permit after my first study permit refusal based on the reasons below:

1. I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
2• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
3• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
4• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of your qualifications, previous studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

My profile:
I hold a B.Tech degree in Physics/Electronics Technology, MSc Electronics Engineering.
I am Nigerian student based in Malaysia. I had my MSc degree in Malaysia and I applied for my study permit from Malaysia. I have successfully completed my MSc degree and I am currently back to my Home country; hence, I want to reapply from here.

Aside reasons 1-3 above, I am concerned about reason 4 and how best to clarify myself reasonably on my Letter of explanation to support my application. I understand that the aforementioned reasons were drawn from the choice of program / course (Advanced diploma in Electro-mechanical Engineering Technology from Centennial College). Although, I had applied to several Universities and 2 Colleges but was refused admission to university I applied to (I have copies of emails confirming refusals by these universities). Only the colleges offered me admission to study. Based on this, I applied for my Study permit with a Letter of Acceptance from Centennial College.

Now, I have been offered admission to study MEng Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo for Winter 2021. With the new Letter of Acceptance from University of Waterloo, I believe that my situation has changed from the previous situation (i.e. from a College diploma to a Postgraduate degree program). From my understanding on the below CAIPS note; the VO expects that I should be applying for a Postgraduate degree than a college diploma considering my academic background; hence, the reason 4 above.

Furthermore, I ordered for CAIPS note and aside other reasons mentioned; the below are highlighted in line with reason 4 above from the VO:

CAIPS note pointed :
1. The course is for a college diploma/certificate, not sure why applicant would need this when he holds a Masters degree.
2. I am not satisfied that the proposed studies offset the costs of studying abroad rather than pursuing programs available in Nigeria.
3. I am not satisfied that the proposed studies would improve career prospects to a degree that would offset the cost of studying abroad.
4. I am not satisfied that applicant is not applying for unknown reasons other than studies and as such would be a genuine student.
Weighing the information on hand in this specific case, the applicant has failed to establish that they are a bonafide temporary resident who will leave Canada following the completion of their studies pursuant to Section R216(1)(b) of IRPA.

I am a genuine student but may have approached my previous application wrongly. I want to get things right this time. Based on the above, I would appreciate your comments on how best to explain the reasons for previously choosing a college diploma especially now I have an offer from a University. I wish to reapply for a study permit while I am here in my home country.

Thank you

Chidiebere

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello everyone,

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions as I plan to reapply for study permit after my first study permit refusal based on the reasons below:

1. I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
2• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
3• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
4• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of your qualifications, previous studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

My profile:
I hold a B.Tech degree in Physics/Electronics Technology, MSc Electronics Engineering.
I am Nigerian student based in Malaysia. I had my MSc degree in Malaysia and I applied for my study permit from Malaysia. I have successfully completed my MSc degree and I am currently back to my Home country; hence, I want to reapply from here.

Aside reasons 1-3 above, I am concerned about reason 4 and how best to clarify myself reasonably on my Letter of explanation to support my application. I understand that the aforementioned reasons were drawn from the choice of program / course (Advanced diploma in Electro-mechanical Engineering Technology from Centennial College). Although, I had applied to several Universities and 2 Colleges but was refused admission to university I applied to (I have copies of emails confirming refusals by these universities). Only the colleges offered me admission to study. Based on this, I applied for my Study permit with a Letter of Acceptance from Centennial College.

Now, I have been offered admission to study MEng Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo for Winter 2021. With the new Letter of Acceptance from University of Waterloo, I believe that my situation has changed from the previous situation (i.e. from a College diploma to a Postgraduate degree program). From my understanding on the below CAIPS note; the VO expects that I should be applying for a Postgraduate degree than a college diploma considering my academic background; hence, the reason 4 above.

Furthermore, I ordered for CAIPS note and aside other reasons mentioned; the below are highlighted in line with reason 4 above from the VO:

CAIPS note pointed :
1. The course is for a college diploma/certificate, not sure why applicant would need this when he holds a Masters degree.
2. I am not satisfied that the proposed studies offset the costs of studying abroad rather than pursuing programs available in Nigeria.
3. I am not satisfied that the proposed studies would improve career prospects to a degree that would offset the cost of studying abroad.
4. I am not satisfied that applicant is not applying for unknown reasons other than studies and as such would be a genuine student.
Weighing the information on hand in this specific case, the applicant has failed to establish that they are a bonafide temporary resident who will leave Canada following the completion of their studies pursuant to Section R216(1)(b) of IRPA.

I am a genuine student but may have approached my previous application wrongly. I want to get things right this time. Based on the above, I would appreciate your comments on how best to explain the reasons for previously choosing a college diploma especially now I have an offer from a University. I wish to reapply for a study permit while I am here in my home country.

Thank you

Chidiebere
First of all congrats... from no acceptances to Waterloo Engineering is an incredible story. Waterloo is one of the best in that field. Yes, this would solve most of the issues listed in your previous refusal. You should include in your SoP that you applied for Master's programs before but were refused and thus you wanted to take an advanced diploma to show proof of technical aptitude so that you could get into your desired Master's program.

Honestly though, I doubt they will refuse you now. Good luck.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
First of all congrats... from no acceptances to Waterloo Engineering is an incredible story. Waterloo is one of the best in that field. Yes, this would solve most of the issues listed in your previous refusal. You should include in your SoP that you applied for Master's programs before but were refused and thus you wanted to take an advanced diploma to show proof of technical aptitude so that you could get into your desired Master's program.

Honestly though, I doubt they will refuse you now. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your positive words. I am encouraged via your comments. Pls is it necessary to show any proof of refusals from other Universities? I do have emails from Universities confirming refusal of admission.