+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit refusal due to Purpose of Visit

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I strongly feel that my current choice of program is a progression and would benefit my career.. I had even attached a reference letter from my Manager on how the program would benefit both me and my company on my return back to India.. The SOP and the documents submitted were very extensive and almost everybody I have spoke to and shown my application and documents are shocked that I got a refusal.. Especially in the current circumstances where(with all due respect), almost everybody are getting their AIPs front, left and center.. I have been given an extremely raw deal here..
It looks like you were being "coached" by your immigration agent to write a sop etc.., then it is most likely that the visa officer see it as you're not a genuine student.

It is not about how you think it benefits your career. The vo knows the poor quality of the course you're taking and don't see how it actually help you. You can say it "progresses your career" but how? There isn't any evidence to support your claim. Anyone can make up bs reasons. That's why you were refused because your purpose is suspicious and using it to stay in Canada and no return home.

Athul94

Star Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hello All,

With a heavy heart I am starting this thread to inform about my study permit refusal with only a single reason mentioned, ‘I am not satisfied that you would leave Canada due to ‘Purpose of visit’.

My timeline:

Applied: 27th May(SDS online-India) Biometrics pending
Medical and Eligibility review started: 16th July
Refusal(Correspondence letter): 27th August

Profile:
10th - 90%(2008)
12th - 89%(2010)
Bachelor of Engineering(Biomedical): 73% (No backlogs)(2014)

Work Experience:
After that I started working immediately in an IT MNC Capgemini Technology Services in their medical domain as a Quality Analyst, testing medical software’s.
Capgemini(2014-2018)

Due to my experience in QA I was offered a Lead Quality Analyst job in a AgriTech company CS4 Robotics where I have been working since.
CS4 (2018-present)

College: Fanshawe college(Ontario)
Course: 1 yr IT Business Analysis(Co-op)(PG Ontario Graduate Certificate)

I chose the above course because my career would have stagnated after achieving the Lead QA role and furthering my studies in Business Analysis would allow me to become a complete IT strategist and take up roles in Product/Project Management in the future. (I wanted to select a course where I would actually learn something than a generic project management course that most people take)

IELTS: 8.5 (L/R/W/S - 9/9/7.5/7.5)

I am confident that I had written a very good SOP explaining my progression of studies as well as how that led to my jobs and how future studies in Business Analysis in Canada would support my career. I had attached all my payslips, Tax Returns and experience/reference letters from employers and also a letter from my current employer approving a leave of absence for my studies and having a job offer for me on my return back to India.

I am aware that there were a couple of weak points in my application due to my 6 years gap(which was completely covered by employment) and the proposed course being different to my Bachelors. But the progression of studies/career makes complete sense as I started working in medical domain of an IT company.
Another issue could be that I had a couple of US work/business visa refusals which is common if you are working in an IT MNC in India.

I find it difficult to swallow that in a time when people with extremely weak profiles(over 10 yrs gap, unrelated course, IELTS -5.5) are getting their AIP/approvals and my application was refused in spite of providing legitimate reasons and documents.

I’m thinking of reapplying before 15th September and any suggestions you guys can provide to overcome purpose of visit refusal would be most welcome..
It hasn’t been a good month considering the anxiety of the decision and then finally being refused but I am holding strong..

P.S - It seems like the decision was made in 16th July itself as the gckey account says 16 July eligibility refusal, but I was informed on 27th August a full 1 and half month later.

Also I had pre-emptively applied for GCMS notes on 14th August and waiting for it.
Sad to see such strong application getting rejected . Mine was also similar case bro

KUDO

Aug 31, 2020
You can try again positively. However, you could have applied to a few 2 years PGD or Master in Medical Biotechnology with Windsor University as your profile is very good for a top university course-based program.

All the best!

Thanks
Kundan

Reactions: Petita

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
You can try again positively. However, you could have applied to a few 2 years PGD or Master in Medical Biotechnology with Windsor University as your profile is very good for a top university course-based program.

All the best!

Thanks
Kundan
I didn’t really want to go back to a academic course after spending 6 yrs in the IT industry..

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Thank you for all the response guys.. I understand that the majority of you believe that my choice of program is the only reason for refusal.. I will wait for the GCMS notes and update here so that I can take an appropriate course of action while reapplying..

Reactions: Petita

Petita

Aug 30, 2019
Thank you for all the response guys.. I understand that the majority of you believe that my choice of program is the only reason for refusal.. I will wait for the GCMS notes and update here so that I can take an appropriate course of action while reapplying..
Yes, get GCMS notes and challenge the refusal first. I think they didn't thoroughly check your application or read your SOP.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
I didn’t really want to go back to a academic course after spending 6 yrs in the IT industry..
If you are not interested in academic courses then your best bet is to go for MBA and there are many masters program related to management.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Work Experience:
After that I started working immediately in an IT MNC Capgemini Technology Services in their medical domain as a Quality Analyst, testing medical software’s.
Capgemini(2014-2018)

Due to my experience in QA I was offered a Lead Quality Analyst job in a AgriTech company CS4 Robotics where I have been working since.
CS4 (2018-present)
Ignore all the naive comments with a sabotaging demeanour received from this thread. Nothing is wrong with your profile.

The work experience gained prior is in sync showing linearity with your bachelor's (even though the job is a QA designation, it's compensated as long as you prove it's from a medical domain area to the VO)

The VO must have trouble comprehending "Business Analysis" and "Business Analytics" . Seeing the word "Business", it's common for one to assume that it's a non-technical business course.

Technical/Technology management courses like Project management etc. will accentuate your engineering background and work experience for approval. You were already working as a Lead analyst and should had highlighted the prospects i.e Analysts can advance to project manager and lead a team of analysts. Some can eventually become IT directors or chief technology officers.

And it's better off to be silent about the company background about your second company in the SOP (do not highlight that its an AgriTech company)

Last edited:
Reactions: ABMhatre

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Ignore all the naive comments with a sabotaging demeanour received from this thread. Nothing is wrong with your profile.

The work experience gained prior is in sync showing linearity with your bachelor's (even though the job is a QA designation, it's compensated as long as you prove it's from a medical domain area to the VO)

The VO must have trouble comprehending "Business Analysis" and "Business Analytics" . Seeing the word "Business", it's common for one to assume that it's a non-technical business course.

Technical/Technology management courses like Project management etc. will accentuate your engineering background and work experience for approval. You were already working as a Lead analyst and should had highlighted the prospects i.e Analysts can advance to project manager and lead a team of analysts. Some can eventually become IT directors or chief technology officers.

And it's better off to be silent about the company background about your second company in the SOP (do not highlight that its an AgriTech company)
That’s exactly what I have written in my SOP.. That the course will help me to take up roles of Product/Project management in future as it covers both technical and resource management aspect in IT projects and would help me in achieving my ultimate goal of one day being the CTO of an IT company or startup my own IT solutions company given the knowledge and experiences I would gain in the future..

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
I am not coming off bitter here but I don’t think the VO has given my SOP a look here.. my eligibility review start date and refusal in eligibility stage were both on the same date.. As I said earlier I did show my SOP and documents to other consultants and they found it to be full proof with the details i had mentioned

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
And Business Analysts are really in demand in the booming IT sector of India.. The course would give my profile and career a huge boost as I can perform different duties within the IT project life cycle and would make me an extremely valuable resource to any IT company to have

Feb 10, 2021
And Business Analysts are really in demand in the booming IT sector of India.. The course would give my profile and career a huge boost as I can perform different duties within the IT project life cycle and would make me an extremely valuable resource to any IT company to have

Hey ABMhatre, did you get your GCMS notes and reapply? I have a similar case where my work experience is related to my selected course and the SOP was pretty detailed as well but the visa got declined for the same reason as yours. I'm considering re-applying at the earliest, do let me know if you have some direction you can share.

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey ABMhatre, did you get your GCMS notes and reapply? I have a similar case where my work experience is related to my selected course and the SOP was pretty detailed as well but the visa got declined for the same reason as yours. I'm considering re-applying at the earliest, do let me know if you have some direction you can share.
I am pleased to let all of you here know that my second application(without any changes made to the file or SOP) was approved and I submitted my passport for stamping yesterday.
As I have posted above I don’t feel they read my SOP the first time. All I did in the 2nd application was appended a Letter of Explanation highlighting the points in my SOP and ending with a statement that I satisfy all the requirements that should warrant a study permit..
Thank you all for your help..

Feb 10, 2021
I am pleased to let all of you here know that my second application(without any changes made to the file or SOP) was approved and I submitted my passport for stamping yesterday.
As I have posted above I don’t feel they read my SOP the first time. All I did in the 2nd application was appended a Letter of Explanation highlighting the points in my SOP and ending with a statement that I satisfy all the requirements that should warrant a study permit..
Wow hearty congratulations to you!! What was mentioned in the GCMS notes as the cause of refusal? Mine stated a mismatch in the course applied for vs my past education. Any inputs on how I can fix this would be most appreciated :)

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Like we discussed before, it was neglectfully refused by the case analyst during the initial filtering. Had nothing to do with your profile. Congrats.

Reactions: ABMhatre