+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit refusal due to Purpose of Visit

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hello All,

With a heavy heart I am starting this thread to inform about my study permit refusal with only a single reason mentioned, ‘I am not satisfied that you would leave Canada due to ‘Purpose of visit’.

My timeline:

Applied: 27th May(SDS online-India) Biometrics pending
Medical and Eligibility review started: 16th July
Refusal(Correspondence letter): 27th August

Profile:
10th - 90%(2008)
12th - 89%(2010)
Bachelor of Engineering(Biomedical): 73% (No backlogs)(2014)

Work Experience:
After that I started working immediately in an IT MNC Capgemini Technology Services in their medical domain as a Quality Analyst, testing medical software’s.
Capgemini(2014-2018)

Due to my experience in QA I was offered a Lead Quality Analyst job in a AgriTech company CS4 Robotics where I have been working since.
CS4 (2018-present)

College: Fanshawe college(Ontario)
Course: 1 yr IT Business Analysis(Co-op)(PG Ontario Graduate Certificate)

I chose the above course because my career would have stagnated after achieving the Lead QA role and furthering my studies in Business Analysis would allow me to become a complete IT strategist and take up roles in Product/Project Management in the future. (I wanted to select a course where I would actually learn something than a generic project management course that most people take)

IELTS: 8.5 (L/R/W/S - 9/9/7.5/7.5)

I am confident that I had written a very good SOP explaining my progression of studies as well as how that led to my jobs and how future studies in Business Analysis in Canada would support my career. I had attached all my payslips, Tax Returns and experience/reference letters from employers and also a letter from my current employer approving a leave of absence for my studies and having a job offer for me on my return back to India.

I am aware that there were a couple of weak points in my application due to my 6 years gap(which was completely covered by employment) and the proposed course being different to my Bachelors. But the progression of studies/career makes complete sense as I started working in medical domain of an IT company.
Another issue could be that I had a couple of US work/business visa refusals which is common if you are working in an IT MNC in India.

I find it difficult to swallow that in a time when people with extremely weak profiles(over 10 yrs gap, unrelated course, IELTS -5.5) are getting their AIP/approvals and my application was refused in spite of providing legitimate reasons and documents.

I’m thinking of reapplying before 15th September and any suggestions you guys can provide to overcome purpose of visit refusal would be most welcome..
It hasn’t been a good month considering the anxiety of the decision and then finally being refused but I am holding strong..

P.S - It seems like the decision was made in 16th July itself as the gckey account says 16 July eligibility refusal, but I was informed on 27th August a full 1 and half month later.

Also I had pre-emptively applied for GCMS notes on 14th August and waiting for it.

kessyg

Oct 3, 2018
india
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Otta2a
I think 1 yr course might be an issue.. With ur grades why did u pick an ordinary univ, since u r working and all are in place u must have choosen a better univ...

@experts
Any thoughts

Reactions: jagmeetsinghji1

kessyg

Oct 3, 2018
india
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Otta2a
Looking at ur ielts and grades for sure u must have got admission in mba in a better univ

CommentDebate

Jul 12, 2020
You can try to reapply with an SOP dedicated to explaining the reason for the refusal. However, with so much good scores and IELTS, you can easily apply for a Masters in a university. From a VO officers perspective, it is not a progression in your academics. As you would have gained all this knowledge in your experience post-education. Even though a profile like yours stayed back in Canada, it would not be a burden for the country. They should have thought about it. It is not a good move to hold the decision for 45 days.

rahul0495

Mar 24, 2020
i have done bachelor in commerce in 2009. ielts 7 and 3 time refuse latest got from cape Breton 2 year pg and i have exp of business development manager ,where should i reapply ,ucw mba or quebec herzing college or anywhere else any1 can help??

NB_AIPP

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello All,

With a heavy heart I am starting this thread to inform about my study permit refusal with only a single reason mentioned, ‘I am not satisfied that you would leave Canada due to ‘Purpose of visit’.

My timeline:

Profile:
10th - 90%(2008)
12th - 89%(2010)

Work Experience:
After that I started working immediately in an IT MNC Capgemini Technology Services in their medical domain as a Quality Analyst, testing medical software’s.
Capgemini(2014-2018)

Due to my experience in QA I was offered a Lead Quality Analyst job in a AgriTech company CS4 Robotics where I have been working since.
CS4 (2018-present)

I chose the above course because my career would have stagnated after achieving the Lead QA role and furthering my studies in Business Analysis would allow me to become a complete IT strategist and take up roles in Product/Project Management in the future. (I wanted to select a course where I would actually learn something than a generic project management course that most people take)

I am confident that I had written a very good SOP explaining my progression of studies as well as how that led to my jobs and how future studies in Business Analysis in Canada would support my career. I had attached all my payslips, Tax Returns and experience/reference letters from employers and also a letter from my current employer approving a leave of absence for my studies and having a job offer for me on my return back to India.

I am aware that there were a couple of weak points in my application due to my 6 years gap(which was completely covered by employment) and the proposed course being different to my Bachelors. But the progression of studies/career makes complete sense as I started working in medical domain of an IT company.
Another issue could be that I had a couple of US work/business visa refusals which is common if you are working in an IT MNC in India.

I find it difficult to swallow that in a time when people with extremely weak profiles(over 10 yrs gap, unrelated course, IELTS -5.5) are getting their AIP/approvals and my application was refused in spite of providing legitimate reasons and documents.

I’m thinking of reapplying before 15th September and any suggestions you guys can provide to overcome purpose of visit refusal would be most welcome..
It hasn’t been a good month considering the anxiety of the decision and then finally being refused but I am holding strong..

P.S - It seems like the decision was made in 16th July itself as the gckey account says 16 July eligibility refusal, but I was informed on 27th August a full 1 and half month later.

Also I had pre-emptively applied for GCMS notes on 14th August and waiting for it.
I think you should order the GCMS note to check the reasons in details before reapplying. You can ask @legalfalcon how to order it.

subakumaran

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Profiles like this shouldn't be rejected. Its just bad luck. Reapply for sure.
- Attach property documents
- Might be choosing a 2 year course would help. I see yours is a 1 year course with co-op so I guess you might be studying only for 6 months and another 6 months you will be working as a part of your co-op. So that might be the issue. The Visa officer might think that you are coming to work and not study.
- Your profile is good enough to admission into the top 10 university for a Masters program. Choosing a 1 year certificate program might raise doubts.

I mean these are the only reason that could have lead to rejection. An admission from a good university seals visa chances miles ahead than any college or diploma or certificate.

Good luck next time.

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
I think you should order the GCMS note to check the reasons in details before reapplying. You can ask @legalfalcon how to order it.
Yes I have applied for GCMS through a friend who is a PR holder on 14th.. Hoping to receive it within this week so I could answer the doubts the VO may have about my genuineness and apply before September 15..

Petita

Aug 30, 2019
Hi, just want to share my story: I got the medical passed, elig review and refusal all at the same time/day last December, SDS also. My application only took 3 days from biometrics. It looks like we both did not pass their first stage assessement, and per my GCMS notes, it showed that they did not read my SOP at all. For one, the degree they mentioned is not correct. So I’m just saying that it’s possible they also didn’t go through your SOP, and failed you in the first stage of review (they’re filtering apps before it goes to CPC Edmonton). Mine was also for a 1yr certificate program. Your 1yr program could’ve been their issue as well.

Last edited:

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
You can try to reapply with an SOP dedicated to explaining the reason for the refusal. However, with so much good scores and IELTS, you can easily apply for a Masters in a university. From a VO officers perspective, it is not a progression in your academics. As you would have gained all this knowledge in your experience post-education. Even though a profile like yours stayed back in Canada, it would not be a burden for the country. They should have thought about it. It is not a good move to hold the decision for 45 days.
Thanks for your reply.. I am thinking of attaching a Letter of Explanation, containing the reasons of choosing the program and how it would improve my career multifold. The primary reason for me selecting a 1 yr program in a mid level institution was the burden of fees.. I did not have 50k cad to splurge on a 2 yr course in a Top university.. All my savings were used up in paying the full year fees and gic.. I specifically chose the Business Analysis program in Fanshawe because of the 4 month paid co-op which meant I would get Canadian experience as well as earn to support myself.. And the course that I chose is perfect for my career progression.. My experience is limited to QA which limits me in taking up higher roles.. An education in IT Business Analysis will help me take up both technical or organisational management roles where I could be responsible for an IT product or a specific project.. I have known tonnes of people with IT background and experience similar to mine have their visas approved for this course.. I really don’t know what the VO’s thinking was here..

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Profiles like this shouldn't be rejected. Its just bad luck. Reapply for sure.
- Attach property documents
- Might be choosing a 2 year course would help. I see yours is a 1 year course with co-op so I guess you might be studying only for 6 months and another 6 months you will be working as a part of your co-op. So that might be the issue. The Visa officer might think that you are coming to work and not study.
- Your profile is good enough to admission into the top 10 university for a Masters program. Choosing a 1 year certificate program might raise doubts.

I mean these are the only reason that could have lead to rejection. An admission from a good university seals visa chances miles ahead than any college or diploma or certificate.

Good luck next time.
As mentioned in my above comment I cannot afford a 2 yr MBA program in a top university.. I gave a lot of thought into choosing this program and it really fits my profile and my future ambitions.. I think it’s unfair for the VO to think that this course is beneath me and I should be going for a better program.. This is a progression from bachelors to post-graduation and I would be learning new skills that would help me grow in my career.. I am fairly confident of landing a good job even with a PG diploma certificate that I would have got with an MBA degree(which is beyond my financial ability)

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Hello All,

My timeline:

Profile:
10th - 90%(2008)
12th - 89%(2010)

Work Experience:
Capgemini(2014-2018)

CS4 (2018-present)

Hello ABMhatre,

Sorry for the reject. But from the little I can deduct from your refusal reason, your choice of degree after good Bachelors degree with 73% and years of experience which certainly made you a candidate for university and masters at least. ( as you know, most unis masters accept from 70%, then why going for Diploma?

Try to work on that and give it another shot but that should be when you must have received your GCMS notes to know exactly the statement of the VO. You have a strong profile, all you need is good degree to show you genuinely wants to study and improve on already existing experience and degree.

Stay strong hearted ok, you will surly get it

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hi, just want to share my story: I got the medical passed, elig review and refusal all at the same time/day last December, SDS also. My application only took 3 days from biometrics. It looks like we both did not pass their first stage assessement, and per my GCMS notes, it showed that they did not read my SOP at all. For one, the degree they mentioned is not correct. So I’m just saying that it’s possible they also didn’t go through your SOP, and failed you in the first stage of review (they’re filtering apps before it goes to CPC Edmonton). Mine was also for a 1yr certificate program. Your 1yr program could’ve been their issue as well.
If that’s the case then this is just ethically wrong..

ABMhatre

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Did you reapply? Was it approved? How different was your second application if it got approved?

Reactions: trang.ng.pharm