+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit questions

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
I am a Canadian citizen. Planning to apply study permit for my spouse who is in India.

1) Can we apply study permit as non SDS even though applicant is from India . Do we get an option during application submission to select it as non SDS?
2) Does applying as non SDS affect the approval of study permit?
3) Apart from proof of fund, is GIC mandatory if opting for non SDS?

In case my spouse comes to Canada on TRV, can we apply for study permit as inland applicant or this needs to be done from India only.

If a TRV is already approved and a spousal PR is in progress, can we still apply for study permit?

Reactions: John Opoku

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen. Planning to apply study permit for my spouse who is in India.

1) Can we apply study permit as non SDS even though applicant is from India . Do we get an option during application submission to select it as non SDS?
2) Does applying as non SDS affect the approval of study permit?
3) Apart from proof of fund, is GIC mandatory if opting for non SDS?

In case my spouse comes to Canada on TRV, can we apply for study permit as inland applicant or this needs to be done from India only.

If a TRV is already approved and a spousal PR is in progress, can we still apply for study permit?
Wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper for her to be sponsored for PR. Then apply for a TRV and if approved come to Canada and wait for PR. Then spouse can study as a domestic student.

1. Yes. Your choice.
2. No
3. GIC is not mandatory for non SDS. Must pay first year tuition and show minimum $20k. Must show ties to return and justify costs of education with career and education progression.

Reactions: Shiv_CR7

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
Wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper for her to be sponsored for PR. Then apply for a TRV and if approved come to Canada and wait for PR. Then spouse can study as a domestic student.

1. Yes. Your choice.
2. No
3. GIC is not mandatory for non SDS. Must pay first year tuition and show minimum $20k. Must show ties to return and justify costs of education with career and education progression.
Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific with my info. Current status is Fiancee and not spouse. I agree sponsoring PR and studying as domestic student is the best option but I am sure the PR process would be time consuming. Debating between time vs money.

So even for non SDS, paying first year tuition is mandatory?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific with my info. Current status is Fiancee and not spouse. I agree sponsoring PR and studying as domestic student is the best option but I am sure the PR process would be time consuming. Debating between time vs money.

So even for non SDS, paying first year tuition is mandatory?
When are you getting married? Does she have admissions from a school?

First year tuition is mandatory for non SDS plus she must show $20k in her own account. She must justify costs by showing career and education progression in home country.

Reactions: Shiv_CR7

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
When are you getting married? Does she have admissions from a school?

First year tuition is mandatory for non SDS plus she must show $20k in her own account. She must justify costs by showing career and education progression in home country.
Getting married in April 2024.
Initial plan was to apply for TRV in Jan 2024 and then move (provided TRV gets approved) to Canada in May 2024 and apply for inland spousal PR. Now thinking if I should skip TRV and go the study permit route. No admissions from any school. Will need to ramp up the school application process. Is there a difference in applying for study permit before and after marriage?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Getting married in April 2024.
Initial plan was to apply for TRV in Jan 2024 and then move (provided TRV gets approved) to Canada in May 2024 and apply for inland spousal PR. Now thinking if I should skip TRV and go the study permit route. No admissions from any school. Will need to ramp up the school application process. Is there a difference in applying for study permit before and after marriage?
If you are married then apply for spousal sponsorship. There are people on this forum who are married to Canadians, and instead of going through PR, opted for study permit. Waiting as many months as PR would have taken. Chances of refusal are high because IRCC knows she is married to a Canadian and not coming to Canada temporarily.

Applying for TRV before marriage is an option but must show own funds, travel history and ties to return.