+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit + PGWP for CPA

Snoopinons

Jan 7, 2021
I'm an international student, currently on PGWP and applying for PR (CEC) in Feb 2022. I already have a year of experience at an NOC B job, which fulfils the criteria for CEC.
In additon, I am also planning to start my CPA PEP from Western school of business in Sept 2022 but it requires a study permit to start. Here's a couple of my questions I've got:
  1. Since CPA PEP requires a study permit to participate in the program, can I hold both a study permit and a PGWP?
  2. If I have both a study permit and PGWP, will that affect my PR application? CPA is considered part time education.
Fellow international students please advise, this is giving anxiety :(

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
First of all I think your query is in the wrong group.
Your WP must have some restrictions and I assume one will be you’re not allowed to study. I never heard of possibility of having both WP and SP simultaneously. If you apply for SP, your WP will likely be cancelled and you won’t get another PGWP as you get it only once in lifetime.
I think you should first get your PR and once you have it you can do whatever you want to.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
I'm an international student, currently on PGWP and applying for PR (CEC) in Feb 2022. I already have a year of experience at an NOC B job, which fulfils the criteria for CEC.
In additon, I am also planning to start my CPA PEP from Western school of business in Sept 2022 but it requires a study permit to start. Here's a couple of my questions I've got:
  1. Since CPA PEP requires a study permit to participate in the program, can I hold both a study permit and a PGWP?
  2. If I have both a study permit and PGWP, will that affect my PR application? CPA is considered part time education.
Fellow international students please advise, this is giving anxiety :(
@Princes2020 is absolutely correct here. You get your PGWP only once and it must state in the permit that you are not allowed to study. The best suggestion would be to get your PR and do whatever you want, study full time or part time while working full time, it does not matter plus you would be paying in domestic fees once you become a PR. However, if you're on PGWP and apply for SP, your PGWP will likely be cancelled and you will not be able to re-apply for PGWP and you would be paying the international fees for your course.

Reactions: Princes2020

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
You could do your CPA with CPA Ontario instead. They do not require a study permit. You could take your time to progressively finishing up your CPA. Each of the course offered at CPA Ontario is 2 months (6 months for extended Core 1) which mean you are still safe because WP allow you to study course that are less than 6 months.

Reactions: Snoopinons

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Also I asked CPA Ontario, they are not obliged to provide your membership to any third party even if that is Canada immigration. They are not in the DLI either, so unless you specifically tell CIC in your PR application that you have taken part of the CPA, then I do not see in any way the CIC could have known this.