+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit from Germany

lisannerh

May 26, 2021
I submitted my application for a study permit online April 23rd (from Germany) and got my biometrics done yesterday. Now I realized that the announcement by IRCC for study permits being processed before August 6th (meaning in time for the fall semester) if applications were submitted before May 15th includes only applications with biometrics provided until that day. I know that this is pretty stupid of me but I just thought that a complete application doesn't include the biometrics and also the processing times displayed online in April for Germany were always around 2-3 weeks, so I didn't worry too much about giving my biometrics as soon as possible. Now there doesn't seem to be a country specific processing time anymore and the current general processing time is 8 weeks. Can someone help me to stop worrying and tell me how great you think the chances are that I'll receive my study permit decision until mid of August?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Don't worry, your application from Germany will likely be processed in the next 4 weeks as per previous processing time for your country.

Reactions: lisannerh

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you, that gives me hope! Do you know why there are no country specific processing times anymore?

No, but I won't need them because I'm gonna study for less than 6 months in Canada.
According to IRCC, they are aiming to process all complete study permit applications received by May 15 for the Fall 2021 semester by August 6, regardless of the applicant’s country of origin. So I guess they felt there was no need to provide processing times per country anymore..

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
They never kept to the timelines shown anyways. When I submitted my application my country's processing time was 19 weeks but my application was processed in 4 weeks.

lisannerh

May 26, 2021
I am very happy that my application's status changed to "approved" yesterday. However, I am a little confused because I did not receive any LOI or PPR. The only thing I got yesterday was the BVL. And a "Document Status" section was added to the page showing the eTA but without an option to download anything. Is it normal that receiving a message/letter about the final decision takes some time? And will I get a LOI or a PPR (I found different information online) or what does it depend on which of these you get?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I am very happy that my application's status changed to "approved" yesterday. However, I am a little confused because I did not receive any LOI or PPR. The only thing I got yesterday was the BVL. And a "Document Status" section was added to the page showing the eTA but without an option to download anything. Is it normal that receiving a message/letter about the final decision takes some time? And will I get a LOI or a PPR (I found different information online) or what does it depend on which of these you get?
Congrats. If you need a TRV, they will send you the PPR request and it will be in your GCKey account. Once your passport is stamped, they will upload your LOI also on your GCKey account. This might take a while but you'll eventually get it.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Give it time like 2days and the system will update information that you’ll be able to download. If you are EU Citizen, Im not sure if you’ll get PPR instead long term eTA with multiple entries. You dont need to apply, comes along with approved SP as effective from Aug 2015.

lisannerh

May 26, 2021
Thank you guys, I got the LOI half an hour ago, so problem is solved already :)

My account shows a valid eTA issued yesterday. I know that it's electronically linked to my passport but will I also get a document that I need to print out or is the linking to the passport everything that happens when an eTA is issued?

kangel96

Aug 11, 2021
Hi Lisa, I’m in the same situation as you now (received BVL yesterday and application status changed to “approved”, but haven’t received my LoI yet).
Did you receive LoI by email or on your account? And if it was the latter, did you get an email notification about it?