+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit for second time in Canada, Can spouse get Open work permit for second time?

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
If I decide to study now again while I am on my PGWP and apply for study permit from Canada, can my wife who is already in Canada get an extension on her open work permit as spouse of a study permit holder in PGWP eligible program? Her work permit now is applied when I am a skilled worker, she never had a work permit as a spouse of a student.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If I decide to study now again while I am on my PGWP and apply for study permit from Canada, can my wife who is already in Canada get an extension on her open work permit as spouse of a study permit holder in PGWP eligible program? Her work permit now is applied when I am a skilled worker, she never had a work permit as a spouse of a student.
So you are taking a Masters or PhD?

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Probably masters, But are the new rules still applicable even if extending the spouse open work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Probably masters, But are the new rules still applicable even if extending the spouse open work permit?
You will be getting a new study permit so yes, the new rules will apply.

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
That is bad. They have closed all the paths for people wanting to just stay for some more time. Masters is very costly. So we will probably have to leave. My spouse has an okay job which she likes. Maybe it's for good. Hopefully they will do cec draws like they did in 2021

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That is bad. They have closed all the paths for people wanting to just stay for some more time. Masters is very costly. So we will probably have to leave. My spouse has an okay job which she likes. Maybe it's for good. Hopefully they will do cec draws like they did in 2021
If you are doing a Masters then you don’t need PAL and spouse may be eligible for SOWP.

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Thank you @Naturgrl and @scylla . That seems like the only option. maybe I will start a new career by doing a bachelors degree program, I am without any career or specialized skill now, did bachelor of tech, acs of networking and tech support and certificate of project mgmt before now. im thinking law or bachelor of education. maybe I will be able to pay reduced fee for my second year if I get that PR.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you @Naturgrl and @scylla . That seems like the only option. maybe I will start a new career by doing a bachelors degree program, I am without any career or specialized skill now, did bachelor of tech, acs of networking and tech support and certificate of project mgmt before now. im thinking law or bachelor of education. maybe I will be able to pay reduced fee for my second year if I get that PR.
Bachelor of Education in Canada? That is not a Masters program. If you do bachelors, spouse is not eligible for SOWP and you need approved PAL.

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
professional degrees are eligible as well.
Excerpts from C42
For the applicant to be eligible under administrative code C42, the principal foreign national must meet all of the following requirements:

• hold a valid study permit or be provisionally approved for a study permit (if applying as a family group outside of Canada)
  • be studying on a full-time basis in a graduate program (master’s and doctorate) in a university or polytechnic institution, or a professional degree-granting program in a university (e.g., medicine, dentistry, law, etc.)
    For the purposes of assessing eligibility, the following definitions apply:
    Graduate programs will be defined as follows:
    • master’s and doctorate degrees granted by universities or polytechnic institutions
  • Professional degree programs will be those identified under the following:
    1. Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS, DMD)
    2. Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor (LLB, JD, BCL)
    3. Doctor of Medicine (MD)
    4. Doctor of Optometry (OD)
    5. Pharmacy (PharmD, BS, BSc, BPharm)
    6. Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
    7. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN, BSN, BNSc)
    8. Bachelor of Education (BEd)
    9. Bachelor of Engineering (BEng, BE, BASc) only

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
professional degrees are eligible as well.
Excerpts from C42
For the applicant to be eligible under administrative code C42, the principal foreign national must meet all of the following requirements:

• hold a valid study permit or be provisionally approved for a study permit (if applying as a family group outside of Canada)
  • be studying on a full-time basis in a graduate program (master’s and doctorate) in a university or polytechnic institution, or a professional degree-granting program in a university (e.g., medicine, dentistry, law, etc.)
    For the purposes of assessing eligibility, the following definitions apply:
    Graduate programswill be defined as follows:
    • master’s and doctorate degrees granted by universities or polytechnic institutions
  • Professional degree programswill be those identified under the following:
    1. Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS, DMD)
    2. Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor (LLB, JD, BCL)
    3. Doctor of Medicine (MD)
    4. Doctor of Optometry (OD)
    5. Pharmacy (PharmD, BS, BSc, BPharm)
    6. Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
    7. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN, BSN, BNSc)
    8. Bachelor of Education (BEd)
    9. Bachelor of Engineering (BEng, BE, BASc) only
Ok. You have a plan. You need to get admissions which may not be possible for the fall. Do you have the funds for such programs. Showing $26k for two people plus pay first year tuition.

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Ok. You have a plan. You need to get admissions which may not be possible for the fall. Do you have the funds for such programs. Showing $26k for two people plus pay first year tuition.
I am open to move anywhere so I can try getting an admission. No, I am hoping my wifes work and employment can serve as proof of funds. hoping I can just pay for first semester for now but maybe this is not for me. I just want her to be able to keep her job but seems like this is very hard to do. We will have to accept that we might have to uproot ourselves from here. Hoping it does not happen and hoping for more cec draws.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am open to move anywhere so I can try getting an admission. No, I am hoping my wifes work and employment can serve as proof of funds. hoping I can just pay for first semester for now but maybe this is not for me. I just want her to be able to keep her job but seems like this is very hard to do. We will have to accept that we might have to uproot ourselves from here. Hoping it does not happen and hoping for more cec draws.
Proof of funds is cash in the bank with statements over past 4 months, not future income. With new rules, you show funds for first year tuition too.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#financial-reqs

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's best to assume there will be no CEC specific draws. These are quite unlikely to resume.

Is your spouse's employer willing to go through the LMIA process?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What is your CRS score? Is it in healthcare, STEM or trades? Have you considered learning French to increase scores?