+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for part-time study?

cpudenusa

Dec 7, 2009
Hi,

My predicament is that I have a decent paying job as a network engineer in the states and can support myself and work from home, however I can only do that for 6 mo. with out any credentials. My goals are as follows:

1) Keep my current job in the states
2) Study over a long period of time preferably one or two classes per quarter or semester
3) Find a school that focuses on networking or security that isn't a "boot camp", because the boot camps are too short and I can't get a study permit for anything under 6 months.

I would enroll in a school full time, but I prefer not to so I can still work to support myself.

My problem is that if I am understanding correctly study permits are not necessarily awarded to you unless you are considered a full-time student, and I just think I won't have enough time to be a full time student.

This may be a topic for another thread, but I am not exactly setup to pay for international student fees at the moment - so I will be seeking loans. Are there any precedents for American banks financing studying abroad specifically to Canada? If so, are there any common restrictions for instance having it be a formal exchange program or attending a prestigious university.

My other option supposedly I hear is a substituted evaluation, but my confidence in that process succeeding is not very high.

I have been asked why I don't just find work in Canada and that is because I like the flexibility of my current employer, however I'd like to live in Canada obviously.

A little about myself, I am 22, I have a year of community college under my belt, I have just recently started taking one night class at a time, naturalized citizen of the states, and I am a few points short of the ominous 67.

Some of these questions may already be answered I will be searching the forums for all the information I can about study permits momentarily.

Besides studying or working do I have any other options? I can just do an online school in the states if there was a way I could legally stay in Canada for longer than 6 mo. at a time.

Thank you for your time