+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for Minor Children

peter5sasi

May 4, 2017
Hi ,

Do I need to apply for a study permit for my 9,7 & 5 year old Kids? I'm confused right now, some websites say that there's no need to apply for a study permit if the principal applicant will apply for study visa.

I'm half way to submit my online application and im stuck here, as they required a letter of acceptance for my kids too. What do i do ? I will only look for suitable school for my kids upon arrival. Do they need a study permit?

Someone Please advise ?

peter5sasi

May 4, 2017
See this link for minor children exceptions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp
Hi Bs65,
Thanks for your reply.
I have gone through the list, however i don't have a letter of acceptance for my minor children at this moment. I'm may not allowed to move to the next step in online application without the letter. What do i do?

I understand they do not required a study permit if the accompanying parents have a valid study permit /work visa.

peter5sasi

May 4, 2017
Hi Bs65,
Thanks for your reply.
I have gone through the list, however i don't have a letter of acceptance for my minor children at this moment. I'm may not allowed to move to the next step in online application without the letter. What do i do?

I understand they do not required a study permit if the accompanying parents have a valid study permit /work visa.
in this case can i choose not include them in my online application ? and bring them directly to the POE and get the open study permit?
I have included them in my IMM 5645 form as accompanying dependents.

Please advise.

TQ.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Bs65,
Thanks for your reply.

Include an LOE in place of the acceptance letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

Important: Generally, those applying for a study permit, including those at the primary or secondary school level, need to provide a letter of acceptance from the applicable educational institution in Canada. Applicants may provide either the original letter of acceptance or an electronic version.

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.

Reactions: vindin

peter5sasi

May 4, 2017
Include an LOE in place of the acceptance letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

Important: Generally, those applying for a study permit, including those at the primary or secondary school level, need to provide a letter of acceptance from the applicable educational institution in Canada. Applicants may provide either the original letter of acceptance or an electronic version.

There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.
Hi Canuck,

Really appreciate you input and this is really helpful.

Just wondering, what should include in the LOE? just explain that i will look for an appropriate school according to the age and the neighborhood?

Please advise .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Canuck,

Really appreciate you input and this is really helpful.

Just wondering, what should include in the LOE? just explain that i will look for an appropriate school according to the age and the neighborhood?

Please advise .
Yeah, something like that should be fine.

Reactions: peter5sasi

paps82

Dec 21, 2017
Hi Peter,

Have you got chance to get a study permit for your child. Am also in same boat and need to bring my 5 year old son. i have a work visa.

Could you please share what need to written in LOE letter. If possible please share the template?

Thanks in Advance.

WilliamA

Mar 22, 2018
Hi Peter,

I'm on the same situation as well. i cannot start my children's visa application online due to a question if my child already have a DLI. when i answer "NO", i can't proceed to the next question. should i answer "YES" instead even though i don't have LOA yet?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ndii

Apr 8, 2018
Hi ,

Do I need to apply for a study permit for my 9,7 & 5 year old Kids? I'm confused right now, some websites say that there's no need to apply for a study permit if the principal applicant will apply for study visa.

I'm half way to submit my online application and im stuck here, as they required a letter of acceptance for my kids too. What do i do ? I will only look for suitable school for my kids upon arrival. Do they need a study permit?

Someone Please advise ?
Hello,
Please i dont know how you can be of help
I applied with my kids
But was refused
Can you put me through on what i can do to make my SOP strong
I plan reapplying again
Thank you

youssef hamad

Dec 25, 2019
I'm in the same boat. I cannot start my children's visa application online due to a question if my child already has a DLI. when I answer "NO", I can't proceed to the next question. should I answer "YES" instead even though I don't have answer yet?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm in the same boat. I cannot start my children's visa application online due to a question if my child already has a DLI. when I answer "NO", I can't proceed to the next question. should I answer "YES" instead even though I don't have answer yet?
If you are applying for a work or study permit, acceptance isn't needed. Answer Yes and include the LOE, as explained above.

Reactions: youssef hamad