+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit for a career shift ?

Jasmine2018

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
Hi Guys

i live in KSA.
i have a bachelor of architecture with first-place honor. i graduated Dec 2018.
i worked twice as an intern and it was paid.
now i decided that i want to shift my career because i am a mother and i am barely finding time for my child. The Architecture field is very hard and exhausting for me.
since my kid is Canadian i am planning to study in Canada.

can you recommend me a city in canada to study in? any universities or colleges ? is the diploma better instead of master degree to shift career?
Do you think the industry of interior design is suitable for me as a mother or i should study graphic design? (i like both fields)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any working mother or single parent will tell you that they don’t have anytime for their children except a bit of time on the weekend after all shopping and chores have been done that couldn’t be done during the week so wouldn’t expect that o change in Canada. As a single parent you also have to consider the very high cost of childcare. You will have to at a minimum pay for after school care and summer childcare for your child. Some families must also pay for childcare before school as well. If you currently have a well paying job and family to help you with childcare moving to Canada may not be a very good idea until your child can remain at home alone.

Jasmine2018

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
Any working mother or single parent will tell you that they don’t have anytime for their children except a bit of time on the weekend after all shopping and chores have been done that couldn’t be done during the week so wouldn’t expect that o change in Canada. As a single parent you also have to consider the very high cost of childcare. You will have to at a minimum pay for after school care and summer childcare for your child. Some families must also pay for childcare before school as well. If you currently have a well paying job and family to help you with childcare moving to Canada may not be a very good idea until your child can remain at home alone.
so what’s the solution?
Should i study a continuing education and take my child with me to canada , or should i leave her here in ksa with family and i go alone to study and come back??

by the way my child is 5 years old and 7 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
so what’s the solution?
Should i study a continuing education and take my child with me to canada , or should i leave her here in ksa with family and i go alone to study and come back??

by the way my child is 5 years old and 7 months.
It is up to you. You know your finances and will know if you have the funds to pay for childcare. Assume you want to remain in Canada. To live somewhat comfortably you will need a well paying job especially if you live to a large city. It all depends on why you are moving to Canada and what are your expectations. Many arrive in Canada only to discover that their lifestyle was much better in their home country.

Jasmine2018

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
It is up to you. You know your finances and will know if you have the funds to pay for childcare. Assume you want to remain in Canada. To live somewhat comfortably you will need a well paying job especially if you live to a large city. It all depends on why you are moving to Canada and what are your expectations. Many arrive in Canada only to discover that their lifestyle was much better in their home country.
Life style in ksa is even worse especially for single mothers

but you really opened my eyes.
I think i will take a continuing education and go on my own so i can work part time at the same time. And I also will be able to return faster.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just keep in mind you need to submit a convincing case based on your thread title given many people have proposed a career shift but failed to get a study permit given they could not show any relevance between their current qualifications / work experience and proposed study in Canada.

Having a Canadian child will have zero influence on whether you are approved

Jasmine2018

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
Just keep in mind you need to submit a convincing case based on your thread title given many people have proposed a career shift but failed to get a study permit given they could not show any relevance between their current qualifications / work experience and proposed study in Canada.

Having a Canadian child will have zero influence on whether you are approved

Here is what I decided to do
I will leave my daughter with my parents and go for continuing education so i can work part time.
Currently i am working in architectural firm as graphic designer. I think this will help!??