+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension

Kavyasharma

Apr 24, 2019
My study permit is going to end by 30th april 2019. I went to a agent for my extension application but he said your study will be finished by 25th april that means you dont need a study permit extension he said that i have time till next 180 days and according to the new rule he will apply work visa after i gett my transcripts is it true or i should apply for the extension

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you plan to apply for PGWP this is partially correct, you no longer need a valid study permit to apply for PGWP and you have 180 days BUT you need to have some sort of valid status in Canada while applying.

You will have to wait for confirmation of graduation and final transcripts before you apply for PGWP but your SP will be expired by then and you cant just be in Canada without status, so you need to switch to a visitor status before your SP expires, otherwise you will need to do a restoration of status with is much more complex.

Reactions: Kavyasharma

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My study permit is going to end by 30th april 2019. I went to a agent for my extension application but he said your study will be finished by 25th april that means you dont need a study permit extension he said that i have time till next 180 days and according to the new rule he will apply work visa after i gett my transcripts is it true or i should apply for the extension
You really should have extended your study permit. Had you done that, you would have been able to continue working part-time while waiting for your transcripts and then full-time as soon as you applied for the PGWP. However, because you didn't, you will have to change your status to visitor and will not be allowed to work after April 30th until the PGWP has actually been approved.