+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit extension

piccolamela

Jul 13, 2016
Hi guys, I'm from Turkey and I got my student visa 9 months ago. I got accepted into a Canadian University, so I extended my study permit. The question is that my friend asked me how I extended my "visa", not my study permit. He said that study permit is different than visa, and I have to apply for it also. He told me that I cannot enter to Canada only with my study permit.
I applied for the extension in Canada, and ight now I am in Turkey to see my family.
Is there another application process to get a visa, and is study permit different than visa?
Thanks!

piccolamela

Jul 13, 2016
Hi again,

I realized that no one comes back to this site after getting their own visas. There are lots of questions, but none of them is answered.

So I'll answer my own question. I got my study permit extension in Canada(the paper), and I came back to my country to see my family.
Then I understood that I had to apply for the temporary resident visa also, since the study permit does not give you the authorization to enter to Canada.

So I applied for the visa online (one of the questions from the questionnaire was if either I had a valid study/work permit and applying for visa. I clicked yes)

Then I got the message from CIC telling me to send me passport. I sent them and it got back in two days with my new visa.

Hope it helps!

Reactions: Habhee

dannymomin

Dec 5, 2017
Hi again,

I realized that no one comes back to this site after getting their own visas. There are lots of questions, but none of them is answered.

So I'll answer my own question. I got my study permit extension in Canada(the paper), and I came back to my country to see my family.
Then I understood that I had to apply for the temporary resident visa also, since the study permit does not give you the authorization to enter to Canada.

So I applied for the visa online (one of the questions from the questionnaire was if either I had a valid study/work permit and applying for visa. I clicked yes)

Then I got the message from CIC telling me to send me passport. I sent them and it got back in two days with my new visa.

Hope it helps!
I got student visa till nov2018 after completing one year course if i want to study further i have to apply for extension of study permit or apply all the way again like i did in my home country for student visa coz my first study permit was for the course i completed now its a new course so i have to apply all the way again for student visa and then study permit ?