+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension

Fawadtoofan

Jun 16, 2015
Hello,

My friend is on a study permit which is going to expire on 02 July 2016. She wants to extend her study permit and also her visa now as she wants to go home now for a break. Can she apply for the extension of both right now and how long is the processing time for this type of application please?

Your on time response will be highly appreciated !!

ImmiToCanada

Mar 2, 2014
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-03-2016
Yes, she can apply via mycic right now. It may take up to a month for the renewal of study permit. The application for the extension for temporary resident visa needs to be done after the renewal of study permit. Best luck~

bskap

May 17, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2016
AOR Received.
04-08-2016
Med's Done....
19-08-2016
Passport Req..
15-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-01-2017
LANDED..........
17-02-2017
One has to apply for study permit extension before 90 days, Right now it will take 41 days to process online.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/

Once, she received extended study permit, then only she can apply for VISA and generally it takes 2 month to extend VISA. First they will approve the VISA and then she has to send her passport to CPC Ottawa for stamp.

But, she can travel to other countries, as long as when she enter canada, her VISA is not expired.

Fawadtoofan

Jun 16, 2015
Thank you experts for your on time advice! It is very much appreciated!
I have one question, can my friend go back home for a month while her study permit application is underway? I mean can she be out of the country when her application for a study permit extension is ongoing?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you again!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
Fawadtoofan said:
Thank you experts for your on time advice! It is very much appreciated!
I have one question, can my friend go back home for a month while her study permit application is underway? I mean can she be out of the country when her application for a study permit extension is ongoing?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you again!
She can travel as long her visa is valid.

Fawadtoofan

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks again for your continued help. I just have a question about the extension of the study permit and the application for a new study permit.

The program in which my friend is studying is going to end on Jul 01 2016. However, her study permit is ending on May 14 2016. She also wants to start a new program which is going to be starting around Jul or August 2016. Can she apply for an extension of a study permit and a new study permit at the same time?

Also, it does not indicate on her study permit that she can work for 20 hours. Is it okay for her to work or else what does she have to do to be able to work 20 hours as a full time student?

As always your intelligent advice will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
Fawadtoofan said:
Thanks again for your continued help. I just have a question about the extension of the study permit and the application for a new study permit.

The program in which my friend is studying is going to end on Jul 01 2016. However, her study permit is ending on May 14 2016. She also wants to start a new program which is going to be starting around Jul or August 2016. Can she apply for an extension of a study permit and a new study permit at the same time?

Also, it does not indicate on her study permit that she can work for 20 hours. Is it okay for her to work or else what does she have to do to be able to work 20 hours as a full time student?

As always your intelligent advice will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
If your friend can get the new offer of admission before applying for study permit extension, then she only needs an extension and not a new study permit. This will also save her the application fee of another permit about 4 months down the line.

For working 20 hours, only new study permits starting sometime in mid-late 2014 have it. If she got her current one before May 2014, she would have needed an off campus work permit then. But now, working 20hours a week will be indicated on the new study permit your friend will be getting and she will not need OCWP.

Fawadtoofan

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks for your kind information Reginald! I checked her study permit and the date of issue is March 2015 with the expiry date of May 2016. I wonder how come they did not mention that she can work for 20 hours per week.
One more thing, if she applies for the extension of her study permit which needs to be extended until Jul 2016, will she be able to get the 20 hr of work permit on her study permit? Thanks again and respect.

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
Fawadtoofan said:
Thanks for your kind information Reginald! I checked her study permit and the date of issue is March 2015 with the expiry date of May 2016. I wonder how come they did not mention that she can work for 20 hours per week.
One more thing, if she applies for the extension of her study permit which needs to be extended until Jul 2016, will she be able to get the 20 hr of work permit on her study permit? Thanks again and respect.
Yes. When your friend extends till July, she will have it. The thing is, your friend already has it; she can work 20 hours a week even now. To be safer, let your friend call CIC and /or go to any servce canada office to confirm the status fo things. Please keep in mind that your friend MUST obtain a social insurance number (SIN) before starting to work.

Fawadtoofan

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks again Reginald for bearing with me. I have one more question. My friend's current study permit is expiring on May 2016. However, her current study program is ending on Jul 2016 and she will need her study permit extended for around two more months. In addition, she is now registered for October 2015 for a new program that will last for 1 year. The question is that does she need to extend her study program twice? One from May 2016 to Jul 2016 and the other from Oct 2016 to Sept 2017?

Your kind advice will be highly appreciated!

Thank you and best regards,

Fawadtoofan

Jun 16, 2015
Hello experts,

Can anyone answer my question below please? Thanks

I have one more question. My friend's current study permit is expiring on May 2016. However, her current study program is ending on Jul 2016 and she will need her study permit extended for around two more months. In addition, she is now registered for October 2015 for a new program that will last for 1 year. The question is that does she need to extend her study program twice? One from May 2016 to Jul 2016 and the other from Oct 2016 to Sept 2017?

PN2511

Nov 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-11-2015
AOR Received.
5-11-2015
File Transfer...
3-12-2015
Passport Req..
18/4/2016
Fawadtoofan said:
Hello experts,

I have one more question. My friend's current study permit is expiring on May 2016. However, her current study program is ending on Jul 2016 and she will need her study permit extended for around two more months. In addition, she is now registered for October 2015 for a new program that will last for 1 year. The question is that does she need to extend her study program twice? One from May 2016 to Jul 2016 and the other from Oct 2016 to Sept 2017?

If I were her In would use the letter of admission to the second program, one starting in October (2016 I hope :p), to apply for the visa

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
Fawadtoofan said:
Hello experts,

No, she does not need to do it twice. Let her use her new admission offer to extend the study permit. I think she has to notify cic of change of institutions, which is something they started recently. Does your friend's school have an I ternational students office? If yes, let her visit them. She can also call cic. The bottom line is that she should not have to extend it twice at such short interval.