+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension with child in home country

LearningLion

May 6, 2024
Hi members,
I have student visa expiring in Dec 2024. I am going to apply for the extension of my study permit. Recently my wife got SOWP and they (my child and wife) are back at my home country now. My child is 1.5-2 Years and comfortable with maternal grand parents, I am confuse whether to get my child here in Canada or first wife comes here and settle and then we will bring our child which may take around 1 year or so.
1. In that case should I apply for my child's visa extension or not. If yes, how to submit my child passport if she is back in my home country and I am here applying for me and my wife.
2. If my wife is coming to Canada is it necessary for her to come directly to my province ? I have brother who is well-settled in other province and my wife have good chance of landing a job in that province.
Thank you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi members,
I have student visa expiring in Dec 2024. I am going to apply for the extension of my study permit. Recently my wife got SOWP and they (my child and wife) are back at my home country now. My child is 1.5-2 Years and comfortable with maternal grand parents, I am confuse whether to get my child here in Canada or first wife comes here and settle and then we will bring our child which may take around 1 year or so.
1. In that case should I apply for my child's visa extension or not. If yes, how to submit my child passport if she is back in my home country and I am here applying for me and my wife.
2. If my wife is coming to Canada is it necessary for her to come directly to my province ? I have brother who is well-settled in other province and my wife have good chance of landing a job in that province.
Thank you.
1. You need to make your decision. If the child needs to enter, I think he/she needs a visitor visa and you will need to extend his stay from time to time. You will need to pay for day care if you are studying/working part time and that's not cheap.
2. What is the point of your wife coming if she is not joining you. The purpose of SOWP is for the spouse to join the foreign student while he/she studies. It's up to CBSA for her entry. Do not lie to IRCC or CBSA.

LearningLion

May 6, 2024
Thank you for prompt reply.
My child got visitor visa and my wife got SOWP. My study visa is till Nov-24 and I am planning to apply for study extension for next year.
As @YVR123 rightly mentioned about the financial aspect. I do not want my child to come here during the time when me and my wife is occupied in settling down ourselves here in Canada.
Is it Ok for now that my wife do not bring my child with her to Canada this year? I am planning to apply for my child visitor visa when I am applying for my PGWP next year (Nov-25) and want to skip her(my child) visitor visa application from nov-24 to nov-25 as she would be outside Canada while me and my wife would be in-Canada. Simply put, Can I skip visa application for my child when I am applying for study extension (my 2nd year of study) as she is not coming or I am not bring her to Canada, Or should I include her in my study visa extension application even if she is not inside Canada?
The primary reason for exclusion is the passport submission for visa stamping as my wife and me would be here in Canada and my child would be outside Canada. This may create a confusing situation during passport submission.
Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for prompt reply.
My child got visitor visa and my wife got SOWP. My study visa is till Nov-24 and I am planning to apply for study extension for next year.
As @YVR123 rightly mentioned about the financial aspect. I do not want my child to come here during the time when me and my wife is occupied in settling down ourselves here in Canada.
Is it Ok for now that my wife do not bring my child with her to Canada this year? I am planning to apply for my child visitor visa when I am applying for my PGWP next year (Nov-25) and want to skip her(my child) visitor visa application from nov-24 to nov-25 as she would be outside Canada while me and my wife would be in-Canada. Simply put, Can I skip visa application for my child when I am applying for study extension (my 2nd year of study) as she is not coming or I am not bring her to Canada, Or should I include her in my study visa extension application even if she is not inside Canada?
The primary reason for exclusion is the passport submission for visa stamping as my wife and me would be here in Canada and my child would be outside Canada. This may create a confusing situation during passport submission.
Thank you.
No issue not applying for child’s TRV