+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension situation

Zumby95

Jan 24, 2024
Hello everyone!

I seeking advice on my current situation, I am currently an International Student on Canada, and I want to extend my study permit to be able to take an extra year.

The problem is that they changed the requirements to show $20k in the bank, I don't have that kind of money to show but I do have a lot of support from my girlfriend and my girlfriend family who are willing to help and give me money so I can take the extra year. We were planning to do a joint account my girlfriend and me and putting the money there so I can access is if I need it.

I live with my girlfriend and her family at their house for free, I don't pay rent or bills and they been taking care of my needs (from clothes to food and transportation, even my current mobile phone is paid by them). So this money would basically be to show that I will be able to sustain myself even tho I don't need it realistically. Just for clarification my girlfriend and her family are all Canadians born here.

Will the joint account with the money be sufficient to prove I will be fine for the year? My study permit expires on 2024-04-28. And I'm looking to extending it to April 25, 2025 when the next year of school would end.

I am a US citizen and I believe I can do this at the border here at Windsor, that's how I did it to get my study permit last year and is way faster than online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks and enjoy your day!