+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension refusal/missing documents

Camelialay

Aug 30, 2021
Hi everyone!

My study permit extension was refused because I omitted to attach my university’s letter of attestation and transcripts. I thought I uploaded them but something might have gone wrong during the refreshing of the IRCC page before submitting. They only received my acceptance letter dating back from 2019. My study permit expired on March 31st, 2023. I received the refusal on August 14th, 2023 stating:

 type of course of study or program you are registered for,
 the start date and the expected completion date, and
 whether the program is full-time or part-time studies.

After talking with the immigration office on campus, they advised me to apply once more with the right documents on the same day of the refusal letter. That way I could both re-ask for an extension and restore my status. I am almost done with my studies, I was about to book my thesis defence before receiving the refusal. Now I cannot study, and my partner cannot work (he has an open work permit). What should I do to help my case and convince the officer to reconsider their decision?
I tried to seek legal help, and I’ve been told that the best thing I can do is submit through the web portal a letter asking for reconsideration and hope for the best. What are my chances of being able to study again and get my diploma? I’ve been working hard on my thesis for years, as well as contributing to my university’s research lab - does a mistake like this can be enough to be denied any chance of remaining in canada? :( Although I’m hoping to find here similar experiences with hopeful outcomes, realistic opinions about my case matter more. Thank you!

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi everyone!

My study permit extension was refused because I omitted to attach my university’s letter of attestation and transcripts. I thought I uploaded them but something might have gone wrong during the refreshing of the IRCC page before submitting. They only received my acceptance letter dating back from 2019. My study permit expired on March 31st, 2023. I received the refusal on August 14th, 2023 stating:

 type of course of study or program you are registered for,
 the start date and the expected completion date, and
 whether the program is full-time or part-time studies.

After talking with the immigration office on campus, they advised me to apply once more with the right documents on the same day of the refusal letter. That way I could both re-ask for an extension and restore my status. I am almost done with my studies, I was about to book my thesis defence before receiving the refusal. Now I cannot study, and my partner cannot work (he has an open work permit). What should I do to help my case and convince the officer to reconsider their decision?
I tried to seek legal help, and I’ve been told that the best thing I can do is submit through the web portal a letter asking for reconsideration and hope for the best. What are my chances of being able to study again and get my diploma? I’ve been working hard on my thesis for years, as well as contributing to my university’s research lab - does a mistake like this can be enough to be denied any chance of remaining in canada? :( Although I’m hoping to find here similar experiences with hopeful outcomes, realistic opinions about my case matter more. Thank you!
How did you not notice that crucial documents were missing from your application?
Plus, you can always add missing documents even if you did not submit them initially.
At this point, they need your letter of enrolment/attestation, not your initial letter of acceptance.
All you can do is submit your application again!
Prep all your documents, put them in designated folders, and upload them carefully!
Moreover, you can explain this issue in the "letter of explanation." (IRCC site crashed, and didn't upload your docs properly)
Extensions can be granted in a matter of days!
Don't be discouraged!
Best of luck!