+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension/ possible restoration (?)

aridda96

Jul 3, 2017
Here's what happened:

I was studying in Canada under a study permit which expired on May 22nd 2017, as well as my passport. I left the Canada before the permit expired and applied for an extension which was submitted on May 19th 2017.

Being a dumbass I am, I thought it would be all dandy and thought I did everything right. However, I realized that in order for an extension, you need to apply it 30 days before the permit expires. Which I failed to do.

I already sent my extension application and it has been roughly around 6 weeks.. I have not heard anything from CIC regarding any changes to my application.

I'm guessing the extension application would be denied as I didn't apply it 30 days prior to my original study permit... I'm really desperate here.. School starts in September and I don't know what to do.

Please please tell me the next thing to do... Should I apply for a restoration after I hear back about my extension? Or???

I'm getting so desperate and feeling super worried just waiting.. I've emailed CIC's help service but haven't heard back.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Here's what happened:

I was studying in Canada under a study permit which expired on May 22nd 2017, as well as my passport. I left the Canada before the permit expired and applied for an extension which was submitted on May 19th 2017.

Being a dumbass I am, I thought it would be all dandy and thought I did everything right. However, I realized that in order for an extension, you need to apply it 30 days before the permit expires. Which I failed to do.

I already sent my extension application and it has been roughly around 6 weeks.. I have not heard anything from CIC regarding any changes to my application.

I'm guessing the extension application would be denied as I didn't apply it 30 days prior to my original study permit... I'm really desperate here.. School starts in September and I don't know what to do.

Please please tell me the next thing to do... Should I apply for a restoration after I hear back about my extension? Or???

I'm getting so desperate and feeling super worried just waiting.. I've emailed CIC's help service but haven't heard back.
There is no 30 day requirement. While IRCC recommends applying 30 days before, you can apply up until your status actually expires.

Restoration is for people in Canada who have allowed their status to expire. You aren't in Canada, so this doesn't apply to you.

You are well within the processing time and need to just wait.

rajwinder111

Mar 1, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's what happened: I was studying in Canada under a study permit which expired on May 22nd 2017, as well as my passport. I left the Canada before the permit expired and applied for an extension which was submitted on May 19th 2017. Being a dumbass I am, I thought it would be all dandy and thought I did everything right. However, I realized that in order for an extension, you need to apply it 30 days before the permit expires. Which I failed to do. I already sent my extension application and it has been roughly around 6 weeks.. I have not heard anything from CIC regarding any changes to my application. I'm guessing the extension application would be denied as I didn't apply it 30 days prior to my original study permit... I'm really desperate here.. School starts in September and I don't know what to do. Please please tell me the next thing to do... Should I apply for a restoration after I hear back about my extension? Or??? I'm getting so desperate and feeling super worried just waiting.. I've emailed CIC's help service but haven't heard back.
There is no 30 day requirement. While IRCC recommends applying 30 days before, you can apply up until your status actually expires. Restoration is for people in Canada who have allowed their status to expire. You aren't in Canada, so this doesn't apply to you. You are well within the processing time and need to just wait.

m_jethva

Star Member
Oct 23, 2016
Here's what happened:

No need to worry. After your study permit expired you grace period of 90 days. You can apply within that period so no worries but the biggest mistake is you came back. I am experienced person. I was in Canada my study permit expired on 30th July 2016. I applied 2nd November 2016 and I got it on 17th February 2017. But I was in Canada during that time

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No need to worry. After your study permit expired you grace period of 90 days. You can apply within that period so no worries but the biggest mistake is you came back. I am experienced person. I was in Canada my study permit expired on 30th July 2016. I applied 2nd November 2016 and I got it on 17th February 2017. But I was in Canada during that time
Try actually reading the post. OP applied before status expiry and then left Canada.

aridda96

Jul 3, 2017
There is no 30 day requirement. While IRCC recommends applying 30 days before, you can apply up until your status actually expires.

Restoration is for people in Canada who have allowed their status to expire. You aren't in Canada, so this doesn't apply to you.

You are well within the processing time and need to just wait.
Thanks so much!! I feel so much relaxed now knowing I'll probably get the extension soon. Cheers

aridda96

Jul 3, 2017
Also, does anyone know if you apply for an extension outside of Canada, the processing time is faster as opposed to IN Canada? Just curious.