+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension PGWP

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
My Study Permit expires on 31 Dec 2022 and so does my program. I talked to an IRCC representative on the call and they told me that they will deny an extension if I apply for it and asked me to apply for a PGWP before 31 Dec. I won't be able to get graduation documents before mid-January. So, if I apply for a SP extension and it is denied after my current SP expiry, I will not be eligible to work until PGWP is processed. Should I apply for a SP extension and wait for the decision, or wait and apply for PGWP by 31 Dec with whatever documents I have at the time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My Study Permit expires on 31 Dec 2022 and so does my program. I talked to an IRCC representative on the call and they told me that they will deny an extension if I apply for it and asked me to apply for a PGWP before 31 Dec. I won't be able to get graduation documents before mid-January. So, if I apply for a SP extension and it is denied after my current SP expiry, I will not be eligible to work until PGWP is processed. Should I apply for a SP extension and wait for the decision, or wait and apply for PGWP by 31 Dec with whatever documents I have at the time?
Apply for a SP extension asap. You really should have applied much earlier but too late. Include a copy of transcripts from your program, proof of registration in current classes in the Fall 2022 semester and a letter from the school saying you’re on track for graduation in December 2022. The problem is that proof of graduation and final grades will only be available in January 2023 and at that point your SP will be expired and you’ll be unable to apply for PGWP. You are requesting an extension of your SP until February or March 2023 (up to you to decide which one you want to indicate). Unfortunately many IRCC agents don’t give out correct advice. If you have been attending your program and passing I see no reason why you won’t be granted an extension. The important thing is to submit the SP extension as soon as possible. You will then have to apply for PGWP on the basis that your SP will be approved first. I would attach a letter of explanation to your PGWP application indicating that you have applied for a study permit extension and once your SP is approved you’d like your PGWP to be processed.

Reactions: xendron

Manaa

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
Apply for a SP extension asap. You really should have applied much earlier but too late. Include a copy of transcripts from your program, proof of registration in current classes in the Fall 2022 semester and a letter from the school saying you’re on track for graduation in December 2022. The problem is that proof of graduation and final grades will only be available in January 2023 and at that point your SP will be expired and you’ll be unable to apply for PGWP. You are requesting an extension of your SP until February or March 2023 (up to you to decide which one you want to indicate). Unfortunately many IRCC agents don’t give out correct advice. If you have been attending your program and passing I see no reason why you won’t be granted an extension. The important thing is to submit the SP extension as soon as possible. You will then have to apply for PGWP on the basis that your SP will be approved first. I would attach a letter of explanation to your PGWP application indicating that you have applied for a study permit extension and once your SP is approved you’d like your PGWP to be processed.
Hello @canuck78 , I appreciate your detailed reply to the fellow student and I would like to ask you something specific to my situation. The situation is, my course ends in December 2022 and the study permit expires in March 2023. I am now considering whether to do a Masters program which starts in Fall 2023 or get a PGWP for the 1 year course I am doing now. As there is a huge gap between the masters program start date, do you think I can remain in Canada with a Study permit extension?

I understand that you share the knowledge you have and your thoughts on this much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
I applied for the extension on 25 October, but the current wait times show 75 days. My permit expires end of this month. Would it be a better idea to request a cancellation of my extension request and directly apply for PGWP before the expiry of my SP, with whatever documents I have and a letter from the university department that I have completed the graduation requirements?
Is it possible to apply for PGWP and still be eligible to work on maintained status, while my request to cancel an extension application is being processed?

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
I applied for the extension on 25 October, but the current wait times show 75 days. My permit expires end of this month. Would it be a better idea to request a cancellation of my extension request and directly apply for PGWP before the expiry of my SP, with whatever documents I have and a letter from the university department that I have completed the graduation requirements?
Is it possible to apply for PGWP and still be eligible to work on maintained status, while my request to cancel an extension application is being processed?
@canuck78 Now the wait time is more than 90 days. Please suggest.