+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION & PGWP APPLICATION clash

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Dear all, I am In a serious need of help here and all of those who have had the same experience can surely help me out.. so I was issued a study permit for my second course up to my course duration. My study just got completed on 23 April 2022 and my grades will be released on the 29 April 2022 and my study permit will be expiring on 1 May 2022. I had also applied for an extension of study permit (bridging study permit) last year December asking for extra 90 days. but I still haven't got any decision on that. Now to avoid getting into implied status I'm trying to apply for my PGWP application before 1 may which is the last valid date of my study permit. So my question is that will I be able to stay and work in Canada until a decision has been made on my PGWP.

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
Yes I will have the same issue next year. My study permit will expire on 30.04.2023. One year course will also be over in April 2023. Generally study permit remains valid for a period of 90 days, after the completion of studies so that a student can prepare to leave or file for his PGWP, I came to know that there is procedure for Bridging Extension for Study Permit to cover this situation.

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
@NewDelhi you better apply for an extension well in advance. My recommendation atleast 6 months prior as I'm stuck badly as my study permit is expiring in a week and my study permit extension hasn't been approved yet despite of applying for it in December and it has been over 120 days and I'm yet to receive any update on study permit extension.. I need to have a valid status to apply for my PGWP. So I'll be requesting my college to issue me with transcripts n completion letter before my study permit expires So I can apply for my PGWP

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Congratulations. You filed your pgwp in the nick of time, got study permit also.
Yes was a stressful situation as if I hadn't applied for my PGWP on time I wouldn't have been able to work .. luckily I managed to convince my college about the urgency and they were able to issue my transcripts just on time

Julie thampi

Oct 26, 2022
@NewDelhi you better apply for an extension well in advance. My recommendation atleast 6 months prior as I'm stuck badly as my study permit is expiring in a week and my study permit extension hasn't been approved yet despite of applying for it in December and it has been over 120 days and I'm yet to receive any update on study permit extension.. I need to have a valid status to apply for my PGWP. So I'll be requesting my college to issue me with transcripts n completion letter before my study permit expires So I can apply for my PGWP
Hi
I am glad you overcome your situation.i am also need to apply for study permit bridging extension.did you provide any supporting letter for the application explaining your situation ?if you had one means ,can you please share it with me
If you

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
@Yash1995 Thanks for advice. Applied for extension of study permit for 90 days. IRCC approved it within a month. Upto 31.07.2023. Now there will be enough time for filing pgwp.
One more issue. Can someone leave/enter Canada during the extended period, or there is another procedure for extension of Visa. Its going to expire on 31.04.2023.

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
@Yash1995 Thanks for advice. Applied for extension of study permit for 90 days. IRCC approved it within a month. Upto 31.07.2023. Now there will be enough time for filing pgwp.
One more issue. Can someone leave/enter Canada during the extended period, or there is another procedure for extension of Visa. Its going to expire on 31.04.2023.
It would help if you had a valid TRV to leave Canada and return. I'd suggest getting your PGWP and then applying for TRV based on the long-term date for your PGWP. You can still apply for TRV based on your extended SP, but the processing time is too much, probably more than the 90 days extension you have received.

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
It would help if you had a valid TRV to leave Canada and return. I'd suggest getting your PGWP and then applying for TRV based on the long-term date for your PGWP. You can still apply for TRV based on your extended SP, but the processing time is too much, probably more than the 90 days extension you have received.
Thanks for response. Will file for TRV after getting PGWP.