+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension or new application?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
My nephew from the PH has been in Canada for the last two years enrolled in high school, he will graduate this spring. We/he wants to stay here and attend college in the fall. Since he is transitioning from high school to post-secondary would applying for an extension suffice or would a new application be required for that? Thanks

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
My nephew from the PH has been in Canada for the last two years enrolled in high school, he will graduate this spring. We/he wants to stay here and attend college in the fall. Since he is transitioning from high school to post-secondary would applying for an extension suffice or would a new application be required for that? Thanks
My son completed his 12th grade here as a dependent under my SP. When I got my PGWP, we applied for a new SP for him.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
So he didn't require a SP of his own for high school because he was under yours? He is here on his own SP, I am a citizen.
Originally, I applied for SP (to attend high school) for my son. That SP has the same expiration as my SP (he finished 12th grade the same time I finished my program). When I applied for my PGWP, I submitted a new SP application for my son to attend college.

BTW, we're also from PH.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Originally, I applied for SP (to attend high school) for my son. That SP has the same expiration as my SP (he finished 12th grade the same time I finished my program). When I applied for my PGWP, I submitted a new SP application for my son to attend college.

BTW, we're also from PH.
I lived there for 8 yrs.

Did you consider an extension for him? Is there a specific reason or were you told you had to submit a new application?

If it can be done either way(which is the part I don't know), and with the processing time right now being 4+ months for an extension, submitting a new app would be the preferred method. Still waiting for the LOA to apply for the fall intake.

I saw another thread where the OP had applied for a new SP which is what got me thinking about this.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I lived there for 8 yrs.

Did you consider an extension for him? Is there a specific reason or were you told you had to submit a new application?

If it can be done either way(which is the part I don't know), and with the processing time right now being 4+ months for an extension, submitting a new app would be the preferred method. Still waiting for the LOA to apply for the fall intake.

I saw another thread where the OP had applied for a new SP which is what got me thinking about this.
Well, first, the SP for secondary school specifically prohibits the international student to work. Whereas, SP for post-secondary allows the student to work part-time (there is a temporary policy right now that allows them to work full time while studying). Also, the SP is tied to specific DLI (at least for post-secondary).

According to IRCC: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Moving to the next education level
If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels. This could be:

• primary to high school
  • high school to post-secondary
  • post-secondary to high school or
  • any other move between school levels
If your study permit will expire, you need to apply to extend it.

If your permit has already expired, you must restore your status as a student at the same time as you apply to extend your study permit. You must apply to restore your status within 90 days of losing it. You can’t continue or restart your studies until you have status as a student again and we’ve extended your study permit.

However, I just decided to not complicate my son's SP application and just submitted a new one.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Well, first, the SP for secondary school specifically prohibits the international student to work. Whereas, SP for post-secondary allows the student to work part-time (there is a temporary policy right now that allows them to work full time while studying). Also, the SP is tied to specific DLI (at least for post-secondary).

According to IRCC: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Moving to the next education level
If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels. This could be:

• primary to high school
  • high school to post-secondary
  • post-secondary to high school or
  • any other move between school levels
If your study permit will expire, you need to apply to extend it.

If your permit has already expired, you must restore your status as a student at the same time as you apply to extend your study permit. You must apply to restore your status within 90 days of losing it. You can’t continue or restart your studies until you have status as a student again and we’ve extended your study permit.

However, I just decided to not complicate my son's SP application and just submitted a new one.
I missed that page in my searching. All is great info, thanks for your help.

Reactions: rcincanada2019