+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension letter of enrollment

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
hi everyone, my school is not able to help me so I hope someone here can.

My school will issue me a letter of enrollment which will have April 30, 2020 as the expected graduation date. However, i would like to extend my study permit until December 2020 because I don’t know how long it will take me to finish my master’s thesis.

What do i need to show to justify my extension and the length of it? I am planning on submitting a letter from my supervisor but I don’t know whether that’s enough. I really don’t want to have it rejected because if this.

Thanks so much!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Not much else to do, worst case it will only be extended till April I dont see why they would reject it completely. Then you would just need to extend again later.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Sorry, I meant that my current study permit expires in April. The letter of enrollment will also show April as the expected graduation date.

Do I need official documents showing that it will take me longer? How do I justify the length?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
you have no basis for extending your permit right now "just because you dont know how long it will take for you to blah blah blah"

wait till you really have to extend your programme length and then apply
what do you mean? My permit expires in 5 months. I am writing a thesis so I will never know 100% when I’ll be done unless it’s like a month away... Plus, my school won’t give me another document. I will have a letter from my supervisor and one from my department saying it will take me until December to finish. That’s not enough?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
then you should have stated it in your original post.

what do you mean by your school wont give you another document? idk if the letter is official and issued by the authority of the school, but if yes you can apply.
the official enrolment verification will only have an anticipated graduation date on it (which is 2022) in my case. So I will have 2 official letters from my department and supervisor saying that it will take me until December 2020, and I will also write a letter outlining my research plan.

Does this sound good? Is there anything else I can do?