+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension - Last semester but have to wait at least a year.

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Posting on behalf of my friend.

My friend has three courses left before graduating and his study permit expires in July, 2016.

Here's the tricky part. He can do two courses this summer but the last course is only offered in Winter. (which means Winter 2017, Jan - Apr )

Questions:
Q1) Can he apply for an extension of the study permit till next year? (Apr 2017)

Q2) If not, what are the available options?

Thanks,
Kvn

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does taking only two courses make him a part time student? If so, he can't be part time in his last two semesters if he wants to qualify for a PGWP. To qualify for a PGWP, he can only be part time during his last semester. If he wants to qualify for a PGWP, he should take enough courses during his second last semester to be classified as a full time student (even if he doesn't need those courses).

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

kvn said:
Posting on behalf of my friend.

My friend has three courses left before graduating and his study permit expires in July, 2016.

Here's the tricky part. He can do two courses this summer but the last course is only offered in Winter. (which means Winter 2017, Jan - Apr )

Questions:
Q1) Can he apply for an extension of the study permit till next year? (Apr 2017)

Q2) If not, what are the available options?

Thanks,
Kvn

No school will make such a weird arrangement where international students can take one course with a 1 year gap.

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Sorry for the late reply. got caught up.

Here's the course of action that he decided:

- Switching to a two year program which he can complete this semester and then apply to graduate.

Now here's the question:

Q1) Can he extend his study permit as a part time? (study permit expiring in July, Semester ends in August). Or does he have to take two additional courses to maintain full time status?

Please let me know asap. His add/drop deadline is this Friday.

Thanks in advance,
Kvn