+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension issues...HELP?!

johnlemon

Aug 15, 2019
Here's the situation.
My study permit expires on September 30th, 2019 as well as my passport expires in June 02, 2020.
I've been studying in canada for last 4 years and this is supposed to be my last year of high school(gr 12), which it's program ends on June 25th, 2020.

Yesterday, Before I knew my passport was expiring so early, I applied online for an extension of my study permit and the form itself was successfully submitted but I couldn't link my application to my GCKEY.

Now I've realized that I have to renew my passport before I can get the study permit extended.
I went and filled a form to cancel the application at the cic website, which can take 2-5 business days for them to get back. So.. here's my question. If they don't get bak with me with canceling my previous application, will it be a problem for me to extend my study permit in the future?(just because there are two applications)

I'll be able to get the passport renewed approximately in 10 days, which leads me having about maybe A little over a month to apply for an extension before the study permit expires. Is this way too late? It did say I should apply at least a month before the study permit expires and I can stay as what my study permit is until they make further decision about accepting or denying extension, even if the study permit expires.

I know i'm super late about this whole process but is there any reason to you guys that I should be paranoid about this? Ever since last night I can't even go on a day without fearing the fact that I'm gonna have to go back and this was supposed to be my senior year..

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
As long as you get your new passport in time and reapply atleast 2-3 days before the expiry of your study permit you should be fine.

You’re allowed to stay in Canada and study, you’ll be on implied status.

But remember, apply atleast 2-3 days before the expiry.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I couldn’t understand why you weren’t able to link your application to Gckey ?

Did you apply on paper ?

johnlemon

Aug 15, 2019
I couldn’t understand why you weren’t able to link your application to Gckey ?

Did you apply on paper ?
Nope! I applied online and honestly have no idea why I wasn't able to link them together :/. Actually that was the main reason why I found this forum, bunch of people seems to have same issues as I did for some reason!

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Nope! I applied online and honestly have no idea why I wasn't able to link them together :/. Actually that was the main reason why I found this forum, bunch of people seems to have same issues as I did for some reason!
Call IRCC and ask about your application.
Could be a technical issue.

Since you're wanting to withdraw the app, you shouldn't have any issues re-applying.

Have you applied for a new passport yet ?

johnlemon

Aug 15, 2019
Call IRCC and ask about your application.
Could be a technical issue.

Since you're wanting to withdraw the app, you shouldn't have any issues re-applying.

Have you applied for a new passport yet ?
Thanks so much! I was thinking about contacting them and I thought since I'm just trying to cancel the application I haven't included any other documents( transcript, passport picture, etc) or even paid, I just didn't bother calling them.

But I'm going to the embassy to get my passport done first thing in the morning... hopefully it will all work out!

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Thanks so much! I was thinking about contacting them and I thought since I'm just trying to cancel the application I haven't included any other documents( transcript, passport picture, etc) or even paid, I just didn't bother calling them.

But I'm going to the embassy to get my passport done first thing in the morning... hopefully it will all work out!
So you didn't pay anything ?
Means you didn't submit your application.

johnlemon

Aug 15, 2019
So you didn't pay anything ?
Means you didn't submit your application.
nah, I guess I 'validated' the actual form on the adobe reader but wasn't able to link the form to my account.
I'm guessing so it didn't actually get through, but I'm worried that next time I'm trying to link the new form with my new passport to my account, it will link it to my old form :/.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
nah, I guess I 'validated' the actual form on the adobe reader but wasn't able to link the form to my account.
I'm guessing so it didn't actually get through, but I'm worried that next time I'm trying to link the new form with my new passport to my account, it will link it to my old form :/.
Validation of the form, uploading the form online to your application has no link to your application unless and until you PAY at the end of online submission.

That is when your documents are transmitted to IRCC.
From what I can understand, there is no application currently as you didn't pay anything !!

Just go ahead and apply for your passport and then apply for a SP extension.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I'd highly recommend you take help of your friends who have done the extension process to help you out :)

johnlemon

Aug 15, 2019
I'd highly recommend you take help of your friends who have done the extension process to help you out :)
Hey man,
After seeing all your replies, it all makes sense to me! Thanks so much for helping me out here, I was so lost in this legal kind of area, I live in an area that I'm the only international student so no one seems to get it. I'm speaking to someone helps students with this via email, he said that I need letter of acceptance on top of all the other documents I have. I've asked the school counselor months ago asking for 'letter of acceptance', she said she has no idea what that is... Not sure if it's because I'm in high school. But have you contacted the school board to receive this? I'm just not sure who to even ask. Thanks in advance!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hey man,
After seeing all your replies, it all makes sense to me! Thanks so much for helping me out here, I was so lost in this legal kind of area, I live in an area that I'm the only international student so no one seems to get it. I'm speaking to someone helps students with this via email, he said that I need letter of acceptance on top of all the other documents I have. I've asked the school counselor months ago asking for 'letter of acceptance', she said she has no idea what that is... Not sure if it's because I'm in high school. But have you contacted the school board to receive this? I'm just not sure who to even ask. Thanks in advance!
If you are currently going to the school ask for letter or proof of enrollment. Something official looking that says you are going to that school.